relocate existing alarm panel.

Hello Everyone,

Going to be installing an Elk-M1 which will replace an existing panel. The problem is the Elk panel is 14"x14" and won't fit where the existing panel is located without moving a bunch of shelving in the master bedroom closet. We would like to avoid this. We are also going to be installing the 28" Elk structured wiring panel in the laundry room at the same time for some Cat5e and some RG6 drops.

Can anyone comment on turning the original current panel location where all the sensors, keypads,PIRs are homerun to into a junction box and run the completed zone circuits and other cables to the structured wiring panel in the laundry room? I know I've seen some larger homes where not all the sensors are homerun back and there are intermediate junction locations. Is this a somewhat common practice?

I obviously would also relocate the transformer to a plug at the new location. Not sure if I would just pull new cable for the keypads or the PIRs. The distance is likely not more then 50ft in wire so I really don't think it will matter all that much if I just extend them to the new location.

Any concerns about putting the alarm panel in the structured wiring panel? The panel could eventually contain a network switch and a video modulator in addition to the Alarm Panel. I think the structured wiring panel mounted at the typical height is going to be "more accessible" via an intruder compared to the panel at the top of the mbr closet. I guess I could simply mount the structured wiring panel higher up in the laundry room.

Thanks for any comments...

-jr

Reply to
James Russo
Loading thread data ...

You can certainly use the existing can as a J box. Just be sure to document it's location at the main panel, and label all wiring clearly at both ends. I would punch everything down on a 66 block, assuming solid conductors. This makes future troubleshooting a snap.

You may want to get the alarm panel its own enclosure. Not only will it be more secure, but that other can will fill up pretty quick with the video and network stuff. js

Reply to
alarman

I was planning on just using standard B-connectors. It's a mix of solid/strand wires. Don't ask. I didn't install it.

Yes, the more I think about it this is the way to go. I think some of the HA modules might end up in the structured wiring panel like the ethernet module, etc.

Thanks for the reply.

-jr

Reply to
James Russo

Ha! Been there. Beans are ok, just make good connections and label clearly.

js

Reply to
alarman

Put the zone expanders in the existing box, mount the main can downstairs where you're going to install your other wiring. I'd avoid "extending wires" if you've going to be utilizing a panel like the Elk M1 (or any control that offers expansion modules). Good luck!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

You don't need a separate panel for the M1. It fits in the larger ELK structured wiring box. It was designed to accomodate the M1 and associated modules as well as terminate other services. Unless you're planning to really stuff the panel, it will be easier to integrate things if they're in the same cabinet.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

Robert did you get my email?

Kind Regards

Micky

Reply to
Sandy Savage

Franks. Thanks, good suggestion. I'll look into this. However, would this mean that the zones will now be Zone 17+, or can you assign the zones in the zone extender to be Zone 1? I guess it really doesn't matter but it would see strange to have the zones not start on 1.

-jr

Reply to
James Russo

I used to be all anal about keeping my zones neatly ordered, but I found I was just wasting time on tie downs, and I still had to look at my documentation for the zones to determine which one was which when trouble shooting.

When using panels with EZMs I like to organize things to allow for short easy wire pulls that leave a couple zones open, but terminated on each module. This makes additions later a snap as well.

Look at your total number of zones and the configuration to determine if you will have any headaches.

(never used and M1)

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've ordered the zone expander and am going to go with the suggestion from Frank. The home has 17 sensors total and many would be combined since they are on the same window or in the same room. With this route it's one cat5e to the original panel and then all the zone configuration is done via the wiring in that panel. It will also keep the structured wiring panel alot cleaner..

regards,

-jr

Bob La L> I used to be all anal about keeping my zones neatly ordered, but I found I

Reply to
James Russo

If you're going to do that I'd suggest running some 18/2 up to there as well (for powered devices). If you're going to opt for an auxiliary power supply, keep in mind you're also going to need to "common" the negatives on the panel's aux power supply as well as the one you might be installing in the old can.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Yep. I was planning on running a Cat5e for the data and power for the module (as is suggested in the Elk paperwork) and then 2 pulls of 22/4 while I'm in there. The would be used to power some PIRs, etc. I wasn't planning on installing another power supply in the original location. There will be at most 2 PIRs.

take care,

-jr

Reply to
James Russo

Yeppers...that's the sane way.

| > Going to be installing an Elk-M1 which will replace an existing panel. | > The problem is the Elk panel is 14"x14" and won't fit where the existing | > panel is located without moving a bunch of shelving in the master | > bedroom closet. We would like to avoid this. We are also going to be | > installing the 28" Elk structured wiring panel in the laundry room at | > the same time for some Cat5e and some RG6 drops. | >

| > Can anyone comment on turning the original current panel location where | > all the sensors, keypads,PIRs are homerun to into a junction box and run | > the completed zone circuits and other cables to the structured wiring | > panel in the laundry room? I know I've seen some larger homes where not | > all the sensors are homerun back and there are intermediate junction | > locations. Is this a somewhat common practice? | >

| > I obviously would also relocate the transformer to a plug at the new | > location. Not sure if I would just pull new cable for the keypads or the | > PIRs. The distance is likely not more then 50ft in wire so I really | > don't think it will matter all that much if I just extend them to the | > new location. | >

| > Any concerns about putting the alarm panel in the structured wiring | > panel? The panel could eventually contain a network switch and a video | > modulator in addition to the Alarm Panel. I think the structured wiring | > panel mounted at the typical height is going to be "more accessible" via | > an intruder compared to the panel at the top of the mbr closet. I guess | > I could simply mount the structured wiring panel higher up in the | > laundry room. | >

| > Thanks for any comments... | >

| > -jr | | | Put the zone expanders in the existing box, mount the main can | downstairs where you're going to install your other wiring. I'd avoid | "extending wires" if you've going to be utilizing a panel like the Elk | M1 (or any control that offers expansion modules). Good luck!!

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I had a customer like that once. To satisfy him, we changed out the alarm panel for a DSC Power 832 and the LCD custom keypads. No zone numbers. No "hassle". :-)

It's the cat's *M-E-O-W*!!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Micky,

Yes, I did, thanks. I sent you a reply. Did you not see it?

Reply to
robertlbass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.