DIY Burglar Alarm and Video Security

Try Jack Stevens. He's old, and easily confused. He'd probably sell you everything for ten bucks and a ride home.

Reply to
no wires showing
Loading thread data ...

Not too confused to read the sports page this morning. 5 in a row?? Bwwwaaaaaaaahahahahahaaaaa! js

Reply to
alarman

San Diego.

How do I contact Jack?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com js

Reply to
alarman

It will end up cheaper at a local alarm supply...you won't pay shipping on heavy wire or tax if you have an account there.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Hi guys,

I really enjoy reading your bantering. It's good fun.

My boss is remodeling his house, and it's time for him to pre-wire for burglar alarm and cameras. I told him I'd help him out 'cause I'm somewhat familiar with them both, although I'm not up to speed on the latest alarm equipment. Anyhow, can you recommend where we might go to purchase the:

1) camera wires 2) alarm wire 3) control panel, keypads, siren, switches, etc. (and please, recommend a good panel for a 2 story, 2300 sq ft home) I still don't know if he wants fire or not, but might as well figure he does 4) either a PC DVR card OR just a standalone DVR with digital recording, preferably with built-in webserver but not absolutely necessary

We are in San Diego. We have the Alarm Center. But I was wondering if something online might be cheaper.

Also it would be nice if I knew the wire gauge requirements, I suppose that would be in the installation manual?

Thanks!

Sue

Reply to
Sue Odom

DVR, cameras, and cables form here

formatting link
make sure to check out the live working webserver demo. You can also connect your alarm system to it. Sharpvision simply the best.

Reply to
pcbutts1

Where does he live? Just kidding. Thanks. How do I contact Jack?

Reply to
Sue Odom

Don't worry... He'll find you... :-) He's a regular contributor in this group. If you're looking to purchase products on line, there are a whole host of e-commerce stores set up. In your area (California) there's

formatting link
for starters.

For a panel (and if you're anticipating a do-it-yourself type job), I'd stick with something fairly easy to program like the DSC "Power" series. The "832" will go up to 32 zones and is a "hybrid" panel (capable of hard-wired or wireless zones). The "864" goes up to 64 zones. Both are capable of supporting X-10 home automation components on a limited basis. You can look at these products at

formatting link
If you really want something your boss will love to sink his money into, check out the Elk M-1 Gold at
formatting link
It's an awesome panel, but a bit "pricey".

As for cameras... Unless you know what you want to view with them specifically, how you want the images processed, whether-or-not you want internet accessibility, that field is "wide open". There are a lot of products out there I could recommend if I knew what it was he wants to accomplish.

As for wiring... Check out your local electrical wholesalers. For CCTV you're looking for either RG-59U or RG-6, you'll need two conductor 18 gauge for power (either stranded or solid core LVT), and 22/4 Station "Z" wire for the alarm system. These come in reels of 250, 500, or 1000 feet. For a

2300 square foot house you should go with 4 - 250' or 500' reels of Station Z so you can make multiple "runs" from the control panel location to the various zones in the house instead of pulling a single wire through at a time. For each keypad location, run 2 - 22/4's, for each door, window, and powered device, one 22/4. You'll need 18/4 for each smoke or heat detector and if you intend on installing smokes it's best to run the keypad with an 18/4 as well (some jurisdictions may actually require it).
Reply to
Frank Olson

You won at Bingo?

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Ademco is a solid product. I don't use it for my high end line, but it's good stuff and the Vista10xx-15xx-20xx models are very easy to program.

Alarm Center doesn't sell Ademco.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

I was thinking the same thing, but then I visited their website, and they don't list Ademco, which seems to be the "tried and true". I don't want a Ronco or Acme control panel. Do you agree that Ademco is a "tried and true"? That's what we have in our house, and it's simple to program, I really like it. No problems with it in 12 years.

Reply to
Sue Odom

DMP: XR-40, XR-200

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

You have to become a dealer, which requires an investment of time (training) and money (initial order). You want to stick with over the counter stuff if you're not going to be selling alarms - Ademco, DSC, etc.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Yes, thanks Mr. Crash! I'll look at those panels and check out the differences. Just out of curiosity, what do you use for your high end line?

Alarm Center doesn't sell Ademco.

Reply to
Sue Odom

Thanks! I'll have a look.

Reply to
Sue Odom

Ah, ok. Thanks. I don't have time to become a dealer.

Reply to
Sue Odom

Jack has pictures of systems he's installed, and even though he doesn't shower regularly, he's top-notch. Pay him no mind when he crows about the sports column. His Padres are winning, which goes to show you that even a dead dog's ass will see sunlight if given enough chances.

Jack WAKE UP it's medication time! Show the lady the website.

Reply to
no wires showing

Warming up the El Camino in hopes you can run another lady over? Scram Pinkie, this lady wants someone who has a clue about the products they hawk.

Reply to
no wires showing

Where is Jack anyway?

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

He's been too long on the beach!

Hey, I spoke to the FBI a week ago about that client I told you about, man,,,they are a scarey bunch.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.