Re: Trying to work with a CM11A under Linux

I read in sci.electronics.design that John wrote (in ) about 'Powerline modem', on Thu, 10 Feb

2005:

This can be done very well using frequencies below 150 kHz which don't create huge EMI problems.

Not at any price; the emission levels 3 to 30 MHz are 60 dB or so above those currently accepted. It's very far indeed from a marginal increase.

Reply to
John Woodgate
Loading thread data ...

I'd appreciate seeing this.

Reply to
Armond Perretta

I realize this answer might need asbestos protection, but I have had very good luck with NextAlarm (if you don't mind getting involved a bit in programming the panel).

formatting link

Reply to
Armond Perretta

If you can find an old DEC terminal, it will work quite well. I think, perhaps a vt-100 would be the cats meow. Now, that takes care of the monitor... hmm. the keyboard. Let's see. I think that an IBM selectric would be the thing here, as it supports multiple fonts. OK! Well, that about it. Oh... you will need to go do amateur astronomy only in fields that have electrical outlets every 5 feet or so; but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Good luck!

Reply to
Matt

Almost forgot your last question, sorry!

Yes, several years back this was attempted - in fact, there was a company who specialized in it. The company was called: Retarted Computers Inc - you may find them in google. I doubt it though, they weren't around very long. For some reason, no one wold buy from them.

Reply to
Matt

Hi Nick Would suggest you have a look at xPL......Theres quite a bit of developement work going on with xPLRIONET.....which is used for mp3 .....ddar/rio slimp3 exstreamer ............as well as other ha stuff.......

formatting link
HTH Frank

Reply to
Frank Mc Alinden

Ooops Sorry didnt see the bit about xPL / xap..............

Have you had a look at CQC ....????

fRANK

Reply to
Frank Mc Alinden

We played around with a node produced by someone that was not much bigger than 1/2 loaf of bread. Back then the OS was NT 4.0. These had solid state hard drives but not very big. There was NOTHING standard about them. The bios was special and except for change outs, upgrading was impossible. As long as you were using Ethernet and something like Carbon Copy they preformed pretty well, until we figured out that we were paying about $500.00 more for these than a Dell PC.

Cheap and rugged are usually opposites when speaking of PC's. Since your not specific about the "upgrade" it is impossible to point you in a manful direction.

Reply to
SQLit

I think you're going to have to narrow down what you want, and what you want to do with it. Does it *really* have to operate reliably at 20 below? Frankly, you're not going to get *anything* non-mil-spec to work under those conditions in a predictable manner.

Let's call the beast the "black box". What do you want to *do* with the black box?

Reply to
Andy Hill

Thanks for responses....even the not so serious ones. ;

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Unfortunately NextAlarm won't do monitoring in Naples FL.

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

If you haven't already discovered it, there is a lot of helpful information on the Freescale Semiconductor web page for the DSP568xx family. There are a couple of brochures on power line modems and power meters implemented with the DSP568xx family. This link is a good place to start:

formatting link
You may also want to contact your local Freescale representative, as they can point you to more detailed information the implementation of power line modems on the DSP568xx family.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Subject: Accessing my home web page` Newsgroup: comp.home.automation => snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com What am I doing wrong?

Posting in the wrong group.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I recently read about a new Windows CE based PIC that AMD is offering I think it comes with USB ports, but I'm not sure about serial or parallel.

It was in a magazine, either Maximum PC or Computer Shopper.

The PC was about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Larry Hazel

Reply to
Homer L. Hazel

Is this going to be battery operated, or do you have a decent external power supply? You might want to check the comp.robotics.misc news group, as they often address small low power computer setups for robot use.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

You would probably get more help from a more appropriate group.

From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
BruceR

So far no one has mentioned this monster:

formatting link
bitsy linux computer the size of a pack of gum (hence the name).

--

email: snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL | Free Software and Politics

Reply to
Thomas A. Horsley

Many businesses are now blocking outbound traffic to most ports except 80 to defeat trojan programs and chat/instant messaging applications which pose internal security threats. You may also have your router (if you use one) not setup correctly, or still running some firewall/security program on your computer that blocks outside access.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

K, I don't believe you can mix forward and back slashes like that in a URL. It may work on the PC because Microsoft want things to be '' but must, in this case, respect the rest of the world and honor '/' in URLs. You should generally be using '/' s. But I assume that's just a typo in your message.

It sounds like to do not have a router. Therefore, I hope you have a firewall on the PC itself. Otherwise, you are asking for some trouble. Anyhow, you may, in fact, a software-based firewall on your PC and that may be the culprit.

With any firewall, you'll need to allow outside traffic to the port you're interested in, 8080.

HTH Mark

Reply to
Mark

Try at

formatting link
Its a PC based alarm system.

Hope thsi help.

Mark

Reply to
Marrk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.