Zonealarm driving me crazy.

A new installation of XP following a motherboard upgrade and a reinstallation of Zonealarm Antivirus. Upon booting my system halts for about a minute on the background. Then I get the desktop but have to wait 20 seconds more to be able to use it.

Now I know the holdup is zonealarm because I am behind a router and the system booted nicely during the install of drivers prior to installing zonealarm.

I've searched for a fix and from what I read this was truevector loading prior to the network.

To test this I stopped zonealarm from running at startup and instead put it in my startup folder. This saved about 60 sec of boot time.

Does anyone know of a fix for zonealarm's boot delays other than this?

Reply to
Phil Nicholls
Loading thread data ...

Get rid of it and use something else.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Uninstall the crap, you don't need it.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Since you posted to a firewall group I must assume You mean firewall and not antivirus.

Did you consider using the XP firewall instead?

Reply to
B. Nice

Zonealarm antivirus includes firewall and antivirus.

Since it is truevector that's giving me problems I decided to ask here.

Thanks.

Reply to
Phil Nicholls

Something I am considering, however I have paid for this product and I'm interested in seeing if it can be fixed. If it can't, then I will dump it.

Thanks

Reply to
Phil Nicholls

My understanding is that it is good to have something to keep control of who is "calling home" so to speak.

Reply to
Phil Nicholls

When the version 6.xx's came out, the startup time for ZA products increased tremendously. I doubt there is anything you can do about this. And the older your PC, the longer it will take. I don't really see what the problem is though, since you boot once and then you're good for hours and/or days, so what's a little delay at boot time anyway? But if it bothers you then you'll probably have to use something else. It's certainly not going to get any better. The ZA folks have been leading all their products down the road to ruin for some time now. All you see in the 6.5 series is more bloat and a lot more bugs and problems reported. It pays to trial software first before buying to make sure there are no issues and it's what you want.

Reply to
Kerodo

That's not true and as a matter of fact, on the lone machine that I have a PFW solution running on it, a dial-up computer laptop, the App Control or phone home feature is disabled.

I don't use the PFW like a crutch and let it tell me what's happening. I look for myself from time to time with the proper tools, since the PFW with its app control/phone home control can easily be circumvented and defeated.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

This is only a common misunderstanding spread by advertizing "security" products.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.