ZoneAlarm Pro 6.5.714 won't install with McAfee Virus Scan installed

What is Zone Labs thinking? They just released 6.5.714 and the install produces the following popup msg:

"ZoneAlarm Pro has detected that you have McAfee VirusScan installed. There are compatability issues between ZoneAlarm Pro and this product. If you want to install ZoneAlarm Pro, please uninstall McAfee VirusScan and restart the ZoneAlarm Pro installer. The install cannot continue and will exit."

There is some hint on the Zone Labs forums that if you uninstall McAfee, install ZoneAlarm and reinstall McAfee that everything will work fine, but who can be bothered?

Zone Labs also refused to issue me a refund because my purchase was more than 30 days ago. They opened up a tech support ticket, expecting that tech support will tell me whether they plan to fix this (or, as I suspect, they are pushing their own anti-virus product).

Gee, until this release, Zone Alarm Pro would actually tell you when your McAfee virus files were out of date. What were they thinking?

Does anyone know more?

Reply to
David Levy
Loading thread data ...

Dave,

It looks like Z> What is Zone Labs thinking? They just released 6.5.714 and the install

Reply to
MikeS

ZoneLabs has announced a resolution. An announcement on their User Forum on installation:

"The new ZoneAlarm 6.5 versions currently have an installation issue related to McAfee antivirus products. When a customer downloads a ZoneAlarm solution, installation of ZoneAlarm is halted upon detection of McAfee antivirus products on the host system. This process, called "gating", is used as a protection mechanism for our customers when a known incompatibility exists between ZoneAlarm and another software program. In this case the gating was in error as no product incompatibility exists "We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our users and we are working diligently to resolve this problem. A fix is currently under development and we hope to issue it in the next 24 hours, so customers looking to run one of our non-antivirus solutions can also run McAfee antivirus products concurrently. In the meantime, our customers can also successfully install both products by completing the ZoneAlarm installation first and then re- installing McAfee. "

Reply to
David Levy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.