new ZoneAlarm won't hold settings

I upgraded to the new ZoneAlarm free version the other day and it wouldn't hold any settings. After resetting my computer, it always came back up without any programs listed in the Programs section, and it always reverted to the other default startup settings. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the prior ZA version, as well as a system restore, but that didn't fix it.

Finally I tried uninstalling then deleting the old remnant directory in Program Files. I also selected a different method when it asks, during installation, whether you want it to be preconfigured for your browser. Previously I said no, but this time I said yes. Now it seems to hold settings but I'm not confident about it.

Any idea what's the problem? (Windows XP Home)

Reply to
skydiver
Loading thread data ...

Check the forums over at ZoneAlarm, there are *many* reports of problems with the new version.

Personally, I'd rather be on the trailing edge of technology rather than the potentially buggy leading edge.

Sure, updates to firewall software may plug up holes in previous versions... but that doesn't help much when the updated firewall no longer works as advertised and perhaps leaves bigger holes.

Seems to me ZoneAlarm did not test this release thoroughly enough before unleashing it on the public.

Reply to
Joe Canuck

Seems to be an all too familiar refrain, regardless of the software. In recent memory, an exception to this would be Eset's latest release of NOD32 and that's a Beta.

Reply to
optikl

I've been using Zone Alarm 4.5 with XP for years... with no problems. I also upgraded a few months back and basically ruined my system...so I uninstalled the newer version and went back to 4.5 . Now all is well.

Reply to
philo

I think what ZoneLabs means by supporting SP2 is that WinXP with SP2 will now recongnize those versions of ZA as a software firewall in the Security Center.

And to skydiver the version of ZA that most seem to be happy with is

4.5.594.000. That was the last version before the v 5.0 series(I think).
Reply to
Jbob

If you cannot find it there, you can find it here:

formatting link
I noted in the release notes they added support for XP SP2 starting with version 5.1.011. I'm not sure exactly sure if that means prior versions will not work with XP SP2 -or- perhaps something else.

Reply to
Joe Canuck

I've tried "everything" and ZoneAlarm will no longer hold its settings after a computer restart. Doesn't matter which 5.5 version I try, it is screwed up.

When you went back to 4.5, did you have to reinstall your op system? I can probably find an old 4.5 version somewhere on my backup CDs. Which 4.5 version do you use (or recommend)?

Reply to
skydiver

I upgraded to the paid version 5.5.094.000 a few days ago with no problems. I'm running WinXP SP2.

Patty

Reply to
Patty

ZoneAlarm not retaining its settings, regardless of version, usually indicates a corrupted database. Here is a "generic" set of instructions for refreshing/rebuilding a corrupt ZoneAlarm database:

[Please note that this will remove your program permissions and Local Zone settings, so you may want to make note of them. However, re-establishing them is a simple process. You will be prompted again for program access for all the applications that you use to access the local network or Internet.]

- Step 1. Open the ZoneAlarm program, go into the Overview Preferences tab and turn off "Load ZoneAlarm at startup".

- Step 2. If you are running Windows 95, 98, ME, or 2000, reboot your system into either Safe Mode or to a Command Prompt. The method is determined by your OS, but most systems will boot into safe mode by either pressing F8 at the beep or holding the CTRL key during bootup. You should now have no ZoneAlarm processes running on your system.

- Step 3. Open the Internet Logs directory (in 95/98/ME this will be "C:\\Windows\\Internet Logs", in NT and 2000 it will be "C:\\Winnt\\Internet Logs", in Windows XP it could be either of these folders), where you will find a file named "iamdb.rdb" and a file named after your computer with the ".ldb" extension. Delete both of these files. If "backup.rdb" exists, delete it also.

- Step 4. Make sure that you EMPTY your Recycle Bin BEFORE rebooting back into normal mode.

- Step 5. You will need to start ZoneAlarm manually. (Click "Start," "Programs," "Zone Labs" and either "ZoneAlarm" or "Zone Labs Security"). ZoneAlarm will start up again with a fresh database. Each program should ask for access again if the files were properly deleted.

- Step 6. Be sure to RECHECK the "Load ZoneAlarm at startup".

Reply to
dak

Also, some recent versions of Avast antivirus caused Zonealarm to not hold settings. Latest versions of Avast seem to have corrected this problem.

Reply to
David 01

I tried that one (4.5.594.000) and it wouldn't install on my Windows XP Home (SP2). Gave some kind of error message and aborted.

Reply to
skydiver

Thanks for that tip. I have avast antivirus. I also have the latest avast version. I'll ask about it over on the avast forum which is usually helpful.

As for refreshing the ZA database as instructed by zak, I've tried that and it doesn't help. Except, I didn't empty the Recycle Bin as indicated in Step

4, so guess I'll have to give it another try. I doubt that it will fix it, however, as something more fundamental seems awry - such as a problem with avast antivirus.
Reply to
skydiver

Yes, it's pretty obvious that it works fine for most people, but not for me. So I guess it's something unique about my computer system. :(

Reply to
skydiver

Hmmmm not sure of the issue. I use it with XpPro/sp1 and 2 on many systems with no issues. Don't have Home but I'm pretty sure others are using it on Home with no issues. One thing to note, I do seem to remember reading of others having issues with installing earlier versions after installing some of the 5.xxx versions and then uninstalling it. I never read them too closely as I have never loaded any v 5.xxx versions because of issues. I think it tool some registry cleaning to get the 4.5 version to install correctly.

Reply to
Jbob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.