notebook won't connect to internet

I'm using a linksys wireless card g card and it tells me there is a strong signal but won't connect to the internet.

Reply to
tom
Loading thread data ...

I use several LinkSys cards and units and one common trait is that although "connected" and "connected to the internet," they will display "unable to connect " or "unable to connect to internet." One remedy is to connect via "site survey" a second time and it displays connected to internet." Don't know if that's your case. Lucki

Reply to
Jose Cuervo

What IP address does the ME have? Post the result of ipconfig /all run from a command prompt.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

I have the same problem. I have the same card LinkSys WPC54G which I use in my notebook running Windows ME. I have tried every work around with setting up the network wizard and the wireless network wizard without any success. I also have a windows XP pro Sp2 notebook with which I have no problems connecting and surfing the web. I have DSL thru Verizon with a Westell Versalink Gateway which I have configured and able to connect and surf with my XP notebook. Again, my problem is that I have not been able to configure my ME notebook; it is able to connect but can't do any internet surfing with it. I'd appreciate any help in this regard

Reply to
Eureka

Do either of you guys use ZoneAlarm?

I found that ZoneAlarm has a TrueVector component that was blocking my internet access: neither Linksys or Netgear wifi cards could connect to the internet but they could both see the router.

This was happening even though ZoneAlarm was never started on the computer! Uninstalling ZA fixed the problem!

Good Luck, Mike

Reply to
mscir

tom hath wroth:

It thinks you're still on vacation and has the IP address that you used on vacation. Try: Start -> Run -> cmd IPCONFIG /RELEASE (wait about 10 seconds) IPCONFIG /RENEW IPCONFIG It should show that you have a useable IP address (not

169.254.xxx.xxx).

If that doesn't work, check if you have any "profiles" selected or set that might point to something automagically created while you were on vacation. Every time I change locations, my Netgear WG511 software insists that I manually select the correct "profile".

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Now I'm getting a status connected with signal strenght excellent but when I go to the internet explorer I get "cannot find server" I tried pinging out and can't get anything there either.

I'm using xp pro as an op system with a linksys wpc54g v.2

It worked fine 2 weeks ago, went on vacation and used it at several locations and when I got back home I couldn't connect to my home wireless system. My desktop works fine no probelm there.

Tom

Reply to
tom

In fact it _was_ started. The TrueVector program is put into the system startup configuration just by installing ZoneAlarm. Turning off ZA is easy enough, and configuring it correctly is a good thing :-) Personally, I like to run a firewall on every system, besides the firewall between my LAN and the Internet. ZA does a reasonable job on my wife's Win98SE system.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

I always use a Firewall, but I don't know how to get TrueVector to let my adapter connect to the internet. Do you have any suggested reading?. I'm using a different free firewall (can't recall the name right now) but I don't like it as much as ZA.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
mscir

It's a long time since I've done anything with it, but it always seemed pretty obvious to me. Start Zone Alarm, and look for configuration options that (a) allow it to connect to the Internet and (b) prompt you for each program that tries to access the net.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.