zonealarm "hidden" block on ssh as service until restarted

Unable to retrieve message cqd082$ti$ snipped-for-privacy@cauldron.broomstick.com

Arthur Hagen wrote: > > > Anyone know what is going on here? > > > In a nutshell, after a reboot service X is only accessible through > > zonealarm if it is restarted. > > > > I have cygwin running as a service on an XP PC with zonelarm. > > Make sure that the cygwin service is set up with the zonealarm service as a > dependency. Else they might be started in the "wrong" order. See the -y > option to cygrunsrv. > > Regards, > -- > *Art

How do you do this - cannot see anything on this in the user guide or faq. I thought I had it cracked by removing cygwin from windows services that are started automatically on startup and replaced this by having a cygwin shortcut in my windows startup. This did work but doesnt now ie after subsequent reboots - so maybe a fluke.

Reply to
Gooshi
Loading thread data ...

See /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/cygrunsrv.README Or run "cygrunsrv --help".

Note that the -y argument has to be the real service name, and not the executable name or service description. Double-click the entry for the service in the windows Services manager, and the Service name will be listed there (above the Display name and Description).

Regards,

Reply to
Arthur Hagen

Unable to retrieve message crf7tn$ch9$ snipped-for-privacy@cauldron.broomstick.com

-> How do you do this - cannot see anything on this in the user guide or

-> faq.

Read the docs but I still cant get this working. First off I dont see zonealarm as a service but I do see the service "TrueVector Internet Monitor" ie C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ZoneLabs\\vsmon.exe -service and I see the process zclient.exe. So I assume TrueVector is the zonealarm service.

cygrunsrv.README has :

-------------------------------

-y, --dep Optional name of service that must be started before this new service. The --dep option may be given up to 16 times, listing another dependent service each time. Try to avoid dependency loops: that is, if svc_A depends on svc_B, but svc_B depends on svc_A...

-------------------------------

I tried to add to the service "CYGWIN sshd" a dependency but could not see how to do this. You cannot amend the 'Path to executable' - I noticed that zonealarm service has a parameter ie C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ZoneLabs\\vsmon.exe -service. But I can stop the service and add 'Start parameters' so I added: -y vsmon.exe. But noticed that the Apply button is not enabled and once the service is started these parameters are removed.

So I then tried amending my shortcut in startup from C:\\cygwin\\bin\\cygrunsrv.exe --start sshd to C:\\cygwin\\bin\\cygrunsrv.exe --start sshd -y vsmon.exe but then the service no longer will start!

Also tried variations on this: C:\\cygwin\\bin\\cygrunsrv.exe --start sshd -y C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ZoneLabs\\vsmon.exe C:\\cygwin\\bin\\cygrunsrv.exe --start sshd -y "C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ZoneLabs\\vsmon.exe" C:\\cygwin\\bin\\cygrunsrv.exe --start sshd "-y C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ZoneLabs\\vsmon.exe" C:\\cygwin\\bin\\cygrunsrv.exe --start sshd "-y TrueVector Internet Monitor" but none of these seem to work. Also tried replacing -y with --dep

Reply to
Gooshi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.