WPA_Kill.exe false positive in Avast?

I've had the file "WPA_Kill.exe" (version 1.6.2) on my computer for a couple of years. It never triggered an antivirus alert. Recently, it tripped my Avast antivirus, which identified it as the "Win32:Small-XC" trojan. I think this must be a false positive.

I submitted this file to the on-line scanner at Kaspersky Labs, and it came up clean.

What do you think? Trojan? How likely is it that it would go undetected for two years and dozens of antivirus and malware scans, and now suddenly be identified by Avast as a trojan?

Reply to
Al Smith
Loading thread data ...

Sometimes you need to scan messages comming to your mail to check if it contains some viruses or malicious programs. Also in situations like while downloading content you need to scan the content before you download.

'Eliza'

formatting link

Reply to
elizas

Yes. So?

No, you don't.

Besides, what exactly does any of that have to do with firewalls?

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Actually not quite as unrelated actually as they once were. With multifunction proxies that include firewalling, inline malware scanning on http proxy, and integrated mail scanning all in a device being marketed as an enhanced firewall, it's not as OT as you might think.

Was the post nearly imcomprehensible? Sure. OT, ... meh.

Reply to
Regis

You have a point, although I'd doubt that the OP was meant that way.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.