Trouble connecting to the console in a 3524 switch.

I have two cisco switches, a 2950 and a 3524. I have a console cable (the premade one that has a db9 on one end and a rj45 on the other) that came with the 2950. I'm able to connect to the 2950 just fine via the console port. I'm unable to connect to the 3524 with the same console cable. I'm using the defualt terminal settings of n-8-1 9600 baud for both switches. I can reboot the 3524 and see all of the "boot" information in clear text on the screen. Any ideas on why I can see text on the screen but I can't input anything? I've looked at the pinouts on cisco's website and I don't see anything wrong.

-Jared

Reply to
JaredBowe
Loading thread data ...

They are the same pinout. If the cable works in one and not the other, I'd imagine that either the cable is marginal, or the port in the 3524 is marginal.

You may want to take a tiny probe tool and bend the pins down a little on the RJ connector. Maybe take a pencil eraser to them first before doing so to clean them a little.

Sounds like the TX from the workstation to the switch isn't getting data through.

I have seen a few devices here and there that just wouldn't take commands though. Luckily I had managed to turn login on the aux port first before the console went totally. Just have to remember never to do a write erase on them ever unless I want to pay to get it repaired.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Could it be that the config-register is set to leave the speed-etc at default and the config sets it away from that?

So:- You see the boot messages up until the config loads and then it stops working?

I have no idea if this is posible or not.

If this is indeed happening you could possibly do password recovery to the stage of getting the device booted without the config loaded and then look at the startup config to see the console parameters. This would definately work on a router but I forget the exact details of the 3524.

Thereare not so many parameters that you cannot try all possibilities.

Reply to
anybody43

No, doing anything with 'config-register' in config mode saves it into system. It never saves it inside config.txt in nvram:.

Anyway, the baud rate must be correct, because you can see the messages come across the wire.

So you have RX, just not TX.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

You might want to try using a different terminal emulator to see if it makes nay difference- checkout SimpleTerm Gold

Reply to
Merv

I've used a different emulator (hyperterminal) but I'll give that one a try. I've also used different computers.

Reply to
JaredBowe

I just got a new "Console Cable" and that still doesn't work. I've taken a look at the pins and they seem fine to me. And I believe your correct... I'm not sending data. On the other switch I have a "cd" light come on in my emulator but not on this switch.

Reply to
JaredBowe

I don't think that's possible. But someone could prove me wrong.

Reply to
JaredBowe

Try a different emulator and also try setting flow control to off in your emulator

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.