Need Help with Sup Module

Just acquired a Catalyst 5509 and it has the ws-x5530 SUP III Module in it. My problem is I'm not getting any output to the console when this module boots. I can insert the Routing Module and get console output from that, but the RSM will not show the switch modules in the chassis. Is there something I can do to get output to the SUP III Module ? I currently do not have the routing module installed and I can see the SUP booting. it goes through all it's stuff and lights flash, then the modules come online. ANY help will be appreciated !!

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
William McCord
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

Have you tried different console COM-speed settings?

Erik

Reply to
Erik Tamminga

Reply to
Merv

Tried that, but I get Destination Reachable; gateway or host unknown Tried to ping and this is what I get: Unrecognized host or address, or protocol not running. I do not have a config in the RSM, therefore that is probably why this isn't working.

Thanks for the suggestions, Bill

Reply to
William McCord

from RSM, what does show cdp nei detail display if anything?

Please post here if you receive any output

Reply to
Merv

What type of connector do you have for the console port on teh SUP - RS232 DB-25 or RJ45 ?

If RJ45 are you using a Cisco rolled console cable ?

Reply to
Merv

IRRC the sup3 has an console pinout which is different from most other cisco devices. Check the installation guide on CCO and if needed make a cable to match.

Reply to
brink

I'm using a Cisco Rolled cable. To console into the RSM, I use a RJ45 - DB25 Converter (Cisco) and then the SUP has the RJ45 plug on it so I don't need the Converter. The cable and adapters, DB9 to RJ45 and the DB25 to RJ45 are from a Cisco Router. So, I know it's not a cable problem. It might be the SUP, as it came with a WS-U5533 (100FX module) in it and when the module is in the SUP, it doesn't appear to work. When I remove the module it appears to boot. I'll check the cdp stuff later tonight.

Thanks, Bill...

Reply to
William McCord

Looking at the Cisco docs for SUP III implies it uses a straight-thru console cable ... see

formatting link

Also you tried changing the speed of you PC program that you are uisng to connect to the console as anotehr poster had suggested ???

As I sure you know the default is 9600, but can be changed using the CATOS command " set system baud "

Reply to
Merv

formatting link

Reply to
bkmccord

Well, it looks like if you read instructions, tha tthings work better !! I tried using a standard 568A or B patch cable and the normal Cisco RJ45-9 pin adapter and all is working great !! Thanks to all for the help, and to Merv for pointing me to the documentation :-)

Thanks again everyone, Bill...

formatting link

Reply to
William McCord

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.