console cable for cisco ip phone

Cisco 7940 ip phone: there's a port on the base of this phone labeled RS-232 (also labeled AUX), it's for a 6pin RJ-11 male plug. I'm having great difficulty getting the console cable for this port so I've decided to make one myself. I'm assuming the other end of the cable is a DB9 serial connector, is that correct? Does anyone know the pinout config for this cable? or where I could find it.... Does anyone know the correct name or part number for this cable? thanks for any help.

Reply to
tg
Loading thread data ...

No idea what it is useful for - what is it useful for?

However:-

formatting link
Seems to have a pinout for it. Maybe:)

RJ-11 jack for console access (labeled AUX or RS232). Table C-3 Access Port Connector Pinouts Pin Number Function

1 RD+ 2 RD- 3 TD+ 4 Not Used 5 Not Used 6 TD- 7 Not Used 8 Not Used
Reply to
bod43

No idea what it is useful for - what is it useful for?

However:-

formatting link

thanks for your response bod, I've seen the above document but it only refers to the 8pin network ports (this phone has two), there's nothing about the (third) 6pin RJ-11 port.

Reply to
tg

Oh yes, sorry. Table headings confused me.

This looks like it. No idea if the site is "trustworthy". Buyer beware.

formatting link
(there was a cisco page but it has gone)
formatting link

I have pasted the raw text from the page in below for reference. It is not very big.

Hope it doesn't cause too much trouble to anyone's reader:)

############### Table Of Contents Console Access

Console Cable Requirements

Connecting the Console

Using the Console for Troubleshooting

Console Access

---------------------------------------------------------------------------=

-----

The Cisco IP Phone provides console access through a port labeled RS-232. This port is located on the back of the phone, next to the port labeled 10/100 SW. You can use the RS-232 port to connect a PC to the phone for troubleshooting and debugging.

This appendix includes the following sections:

=95 Console Cable Requirements

=95 Connecting the Console

=95 Using the Console for Troubleshooting

Console Cable Requirements You use a serial cable with a connector to connect a PC and a phone. The cable uses an RJ-11 connector for the phone and an RJ-45 connector to an RJ-45-to-DB9 converter for the PC. Table D-1 shows the pinout requirements for the console cable.

Table D-1 Console Cable Pinouts RJ-11 Connector RJ-45 Connector Pin 2 Pin 6

Pin 3 Pin 4

Pin 4 Pin 3

Connecting the Console To connect a console the a phone, verify that the following criteria are met:

=95Serial port on the PC is set to 9600 BAUD, databit 8, no parity, stop bit 1, and no flow control.

=95No Cisco 7914 Expansion Modules are connected to the phone. If an expansion module is connected, remove it. Also, remove it from the phone in the Cisco CallManager Administration Device Configuration page.

To access the phone from the PC, use a program that lets you access other devices through a PC COM port. The login password for accessing the Cisco IP Phone is cisco.

Using the Console for Troubleshooting In some cases, a phone may not be able to load a valid application from the TFTP server. This problem can occur if there is no application on the TFTP server, if DHCP is not configured correctly in the network, or if TFTP is not configured correctly on the phone.

To correct this problem, follow these steps:

Procedure

---------------------------------------------------------------------------=

-----

Step 1 Connect to and access the console as described in the the "Connecting the Console" section.

Step 2 At the console, enter the following commands.

a. set tftp-addr tftp_server_ip_address

where tftp_server_ip_address is the IP address of the TFTP server.

b. set def-rtr default_router_ip_address

where default_router_ip_address is the IP address of the default gateway router.

c. set dchp on or set dhcp off

depending on whether DCHP is used in your network.

Step 3 If you set DCHP off in Step 2, type the following commands. Otherwise, continue to Step 4.

a. set ip-addr phone_ip_address

where phone_ip_address is the IP address of the phone.

b. set subnet phone_subnet_mask

where phone_ip_address is the subnet mask of the phone.

Step 4 Type save.

Step 5 Exit the connection to the phone.

Reply to
bod43

You probably have this - but just in case - Firmware upgrade procedures.

formatting link

Reply to
bod43

formatting link
that's a great link bod thanks. Why can't I ever find these pages when I'm trawling google at 2am in the morning? the page talks of an RJ-11 to RJ-45 cable and then an RJ-45 to DB9 converter. I'd like to make a straight cable but if I can't make a straight through RJ-11 to DB9 cable then at least I know I can get the converter .

Reply to
tg

You can't make a console connection to a Cisco IP Phone, in the same way that you can 'console' to a switch or router. All configuration is through a file dynamically built by CallManager which is TFTP'd at boot time.

I suspect the AUX connection is for the add-on Expansion Module, which provides additional line keys (in addition to the two on a 7940).

Cheers,

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Melbourne

formatting link
-----------------------

Ah, seems I was wrong; it *is* possible to console an IP Phone. You learn something everyday! :)

Cheers,

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Melbourne

RJ11 DB9 pin pin

2 ------- 3 3 ------- 5 4 ------- 2

I connected the cable to the phone but it doesn't work in hyperterminal. The keys do nothing, just a blank screen and flashing cursor. The thing that did work however was a command prompt. You have to know the ip address of the phone though so DHCP has to work before doing this. Start/Run/command/ok. Then in the Dos box type:> telnet password = cisco and then you can access the phone by command line.

Reply to
tg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.