Aironet console

Is the console port setup the same on the Aironet 1240 as it is on almost all Cisco routers and PIX firewalls? I'm using the same laptop, cable, and terminal setup that I use on all of our routers and firewalls but the Aironet 1240 console session is giving me receive data only. Anything I type doesn't do anything but lock up the session for a few seconds. I've tried this on two different Aironet units, several different cables, cable types, session settings, etc. The standard Cisco rollover cable with DB9 adapter is the only thing that comes close to working but gives the symptoms above.

TIA.

Reply to
Nate
Loading thread data ...

Hi Nate,

Connect a nine-pin, straight-through DB-9 serial cable to the RS-232 serial port on the access point and to the COM port on a computer.

Set up a terminal emulator to communicate with the access point.

Use the following settings for the terminal emulator connection:

- 9600 baud

- 8 data bits

- no parity

- 1 stop bit

- Xon/Xoff flow control

Note: These settings are the default settings.

If you are having trouble accessing the device after setting the terminal program to the settings, it is possible that the device is not set to the defaults.

It might help to try different settings, starting with the baud rate.

For more information on the console cable specifications, refer to the Using the Command-Line Interface:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Yeah, the RJ45 console port on the AP1240 is just like the console port on almost any recent IOS router. So your terminal program can see data coming from the AP, but can't send anything to the AP? I suppose one possibility would be "no exec" being configured on the AP's console line; another possibility would be a bad pin in the RJ45 jack. Can you telnet into this box and check the config? If not, you might reset the AP to factory defaults via the modem button.

[ The straight-thru DB9 cable described in the other followup would pertain to an AP340/AP350, not an AP1240. ]

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Yeah, the terminal is receiving data but any attempts to type anything result in a couple seconds of locked up session. Terminal hardware is fine. I can unplug from the AP, walk a few feet, and plug the same laptop/cable/adapter into another Cisco device and the terminal works fine both ways. I don't see anything in the config to cause this and I've tried 2 different APs. Time to call Cisco...

Reply to
Nate

I'm ashamed to post this but apparently most of Cisco's routers, firewalls, and switches will tolerate various means of flow control... these APs need XON/XOFF. This explains why every other Cisco device we own worked fine with my configuration and hardware. Flow control is the one terminal parameter that I didn't vary while troubleshooting. I guess it helps to follow directions...

Reply to
Nate

~ Nate wrote: ~ > Is the console port setup the same on the Aironet 1240 as it is on ~ > almost all Cisco routers and PIX firewalls? I'm using the same laptop, ~ > cable, and terminal setup that I use on all of our routers and ~ > firewalls but the Aironet 1240 console session is giving me receive ~ > data only. Anything I type doesn't do anything but lock up the session ~ > for a few seconds. I've tried this on two different Aironet units, ~ > several different cables, cable types, session settings, etc. The ~ > standard Cisco rollover cable with DB9 adapter is the only thing that ~ > comes close to working but gives the symptoms above. ~ >

~ > TIA. ~ ~ I'm ashamed to post this but apparently most of Cisco's routers, ~ firewalls, and switches will tolerate various means of flow control... ~ these APs need XON/XOFF. This explains why every other Cisco device we ~ own worked fine with my configuration and hardware. Flow control is ~ the one terminal parameter that I didn't vary while troubleshooting. I ~ guess it helps to follow directions...

I don't get this ... the AP1240 console can do XON/XOFF (flowcontrol software), but it defaults (like other IOS devices) to "flowcontrol none".

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you got it working.

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.