Resetting a Catalyst 2924 XL Switch

Hello:

Let me start by saying I'm a truck driver, and sick of driving, and going for a CCIE certification. I know some stuff about networking, but not a whole lot, so I'm starting at the beginning. I bought a Catalyst 2924 XL switch off ebay, and it's still configured to the network that it came from. I bought 2 console cables to connect to them, and followed "Cisco - Networking Basics" book on how to connect to it via console cable. I get nothing. So I tried looking up how to reset it, and got no where, but a guy gave me a link somewhere on Cisco's site on how to reset it, and I tried. All I succeeded in doing was half-way resetting the switch I think. I turned it off, held the mode button in when plugged it back it, and waited for the led on port 1 to go out. All I got after that was the System LED flashing, and all the port LED's on. But it's still spitting out an ARP request.

I think it's set up as a managed switch because it's spitting out ARP requests on the network when I look at it with a sniffer. Although I don't really care that it does that, and for my uses, it doesn't do anything to network speed, I still need to be able to get into it and play. I don't know where to start now that all my expertise is exhausted.

If someone would be gratious enough to walk me through how to properly reset the switch, and what I need to do to get back into it, I'd be very grateful. Each day I do this, it seems my goals keep going farther away, although, going for a CCNA isn't that hard, I'm told. Financial limitations are the biggest issue for me. That and about 4 hrs of sleep a night doesn't really cut it, but I'm trying my hardest to do this.

Outta Luck

Reply to
Outta Luck
Loading thread data ...

You may wish to investigate System LED Information:

formatting link
and LED Troubleshooting:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese Cisco Repair and Hardware Troubleshooting

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

You can only fully reset it after you get a console connection going.

What you did was just interupt its boot sequence to get you to the point where you can start to do the factory reset. But without the console connection, you didn't accomplish anything, when you rebooted it again, it just came back up normal.

I'd check your console cable connection. You should be connecting to it with a term program, perferably something like teraterm or securecrt vs. hyperterminal, but hyperterminal usually works if some of its bugs don't kick in.

Make sure you connect in with baud=9600, 8N1, make sure flow-control is turned off (ie. no RTS/CTS settings, and no XON/XOFF).

If you still get nothing, try different baud rates, all of them between 2400 and 115,200. Make sure you are connecting to the correct COM port on your computer.

You should get something.

Are the console kits real Cisco ones? Its hard to tell without knowing what vintage of console kit you have.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Hi OuttaLuck

:)

Intuitive - Undernet

Reply to
Jason Tomasi

Hi

Reply to
Outta Luck

I'm not exactly sure about the console cable...got it off ebay also. That's one area that I'm not sure what it's doing. As I've either not gotten to that part of the book of what the pinout for the DB-9 connection is, or missed it, or it's just not in the book, I'm not sure, but I am familiar with the rollover part of it, just not where the wires are supposed to go in the DB-9 pinout. I also do not have the availability, or haven't found it yet, how to get a hold of a DB-9 connector, and the hardware to connect wires to it. Actually, I never really thought of it.

I'll give this a shot, and see where I can go from there. Seems the more I look into this stuff, the farther off-base I am at getting to my goal. Oh well.

Thanks a million.

Outta Luck

Reply to
Outta Luck

Thanks, I'm looking into that, the only thing I can figure is maybe I have a bad cable, or something along those lines. I'm guessing I probably sound like an idiot, since the problem is probably a simple one. I think I've seen you on Cisco.com in the "Join The Discussion" forums. Thanks for your time reading my problem, I'll get back to you once I try this stuff out. In the pages, it refers to both a DB-9 and DB-25 connector, with a DB-25 being supplied originally with the switch. Do I have to use a DB-25 connector, or will a DB-9 connector work also, assuming the pinouts are correct?

Thanks,

Outta Luck

formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
Outta Luck

DB25 hooks up to ancient history computers, and external modems.

DB9 hooks up to most PC clones, and things that copied them.

They are the same, the same signals in both, just over different pins of course. You can get a DB9 to DB25 adaptor.

The switch probably originally came with the stock console kit back in the day, which was a black rollover cable, and a DB9->RJ45 adaptor, and a DB25->RJ45 adaptor. Then they switched to a blue rollover cable. Now Cisco's been shipping a newer console kit for many years that is a blue molded DB9 on one end, and RJ45 on the other, as well as a black molded DB25 for external modem hookups on devices that might potentially hookup to an external modem (ie. routers' AUX ports).

You can make your own DB9->RJ45 adaptor out of parts, you most likely can find an unwired adaptor at Radio Shack or MicroCenter or Frys and wire it up to match the standard pinouts that are many places on the net.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

That's what I was thinking, I remember DB-25 connectors back in the day of

80486's, and earlier, and knew of the adapter from DB-9 -> DB-25, and vice cersa, but wasn't quite sure if Cisco had some propietary standard regarging the rollover cable. Thanks for the help, and background.

Sorry I'm asking simple questions like this, but I want to make sure of everything before I dive into it, so I don't look like someone that has the cert, and no knowledge of what the certification entails...

Reply to
Outta Luck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.