Router didn't allow me to go exec mode

Hi: I've Cisco Router 2612 It had password, I cleared the password, Now it didn't boot, didn't show any info.....when it's start it;s just showing jjjjjjjju............jjjjjjjjjjjjj like this. Any idea? How can I recovered this router? It didn't prompt mode, it's just freeze only displaying JJJJJJJJJJJJ............some wired letters Thanks in advance.

Mir

Reply to
MIR ALI
Loading thread data ...

I'm not sure what exactly you did, but below I put some general instructions which almost always are appropriate.

Set up tftp server on PC (or somewhere else), put there correct IOS image and connect router using its ethernet slot to PC's NIC.

1. Power on router
  2. Send break sequence to get into ROMMON
  3. Try to boot IOS from TFTP server

(exact instructions how to do this you will find on cisco.com)

If this won't work then possible scenarios are:

- you have wrong ios image

- router's RAM memory is corrupted

- there is some other hardware problem

but, if booting from tftp will work then try to copy ios image to router's flash memory and set convenient config register, ie 2102, other options are listed here:

formatting link
When you can boot from tftp, but not from flash then it's obvious that you should try to put another flash memory.

Hope this help...

Reply to
Slawomir Kawala

A Cisco 2612 router has some age on it. I remember the 2612 having integrated 10mb/s ethernet and token ring interfaces. This device does have some age on it.

If the hardware is sound, this could possibly be caused by terminal settings. I mention this because you said that you cleared the password. If you did this by booting the router and breaking into ROMMON mode, perhaps it is possible that another setting was changed for the baud rate of the console serial connection while you were also setting the router to boot without loading the startup configuration.

Eliminate this possibility or resolve the problem by rotating through baud rates in your terminal emulator and booting up your router. If this is the cause, one baud rate setting will allow the screen to be viewed.

The reason that I suggest this is that console port speeds can be set higher such as 57600. This would be great for sending an IOS image file over the console serial connection using XMODEM protocol in comparison to doing so at

9600 baud. If you console connect later at 9600 baud, the characters on the screen appear as gibberish. Set your baud rate to match, get the connection to be viewable, boot into ROMMON and set the baud rate back down to 9600, then load the IOS back up.

Refer to the documentation on Cisco's website for the specific hexadecimal setting for changing the baud rate for the console connection. Now that your password has been reset, if you are able to view the console, boot into ROMMON mode and enter the following: rommon 1 >confreg 0x2102

Reply to
Scott Perry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.