Trouble configuring Cisco 857, many sites not working

First off, I'm a newbie to Cisco equipment. I'm a software developer by trade, working from home for my own company. I outgrew the router that my DSL provider gave me (SBC/AT&T) with my static service (5 static IPs) as I need to host some servers onsite and wanted a decent firewall. So, I read reviews online and purchased the Cisco 857.

I set this up yesterday using the wizard/installer that came with it. I have not enabled the firewall, and am currently using NAT across one of the external static IPs. Internally my network is 192.168.1.0/24.

Generally, everything is working, but a few things are not and it's baffling me. AJAX websites (those that communicate back to the server with Javascript) are generally not working. A prominent example is Google's GMail (gmail.google.com). I can login and view my mail, but I can't send or do anything that requires AJAX functionality. In fact, it seems almost as though I can't do an HTTP POST in general across the

857. Very strange.

When I plug in my old router, everything works fine. When I plug in the 857, I have the issues above. Hopefully somebody has some ideas that can send me in the right direction. I am decent with network equipment, and such. Many years ago I did have experience setting up and managing a Cisco 4000 series, but I've forgotten most of what I knew then. Let me know if you have any ideas on what might be wrong, or how I might be able to figure out what is wrong.

Reply to
sean.blaes
Loading thread data ...

To assist responders, suggest you post the router config and the output of show version.

Reply to
Merv

Just maybe, ... been there.

ip inspect some-name http Actually turns on what I think amounts to Java blocking. I don't know what this looks like in the GUI so... try

! = Comment

telnet 192.168.1.x ! Supply user id and password ! If prompt does not end in "#" en supply "enable" password

sh run | inc inspect !< run[space][pipe][space]inc

! make a note of any lines of the form ! ip inspect some-name http

conf t no ip inspect some-name http ! repeat if necessary

end copy run start ! save the config

sh run | inc inspect !< this is like "| grep" in unix

!##################### ! Dump from router ! login as: jim jim@172.17.9.199's password:

temp>en Password: temp#sh run | inc inspect ip inspect name INS.Home cuseeme ip inspect name INS.Home ftp ip inspect name INS.Home h323 ! ip inspect INS.Home out !< this is the inspect being applied to an interface temp#conf t Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z. temp(config)#no ip inspect name INS.Home cuseeme temp(config)#end temp#sh run | inc inspect ip inspect name INS.Home ftp ip inspect name INS.Home h323 ip inspect INS.Home out temp#copy run temp#copy running-config start temp#copy running-config startup-config Destination filename [startup-config]? Building configuration... [OK] temp# ##### Now unbreak the router:-) temp#conf t Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z. temp(config)#ip inspect name INS.Home cuseeme temp(config)#^Z ! [Ctrl]Z = end temp#wr ! "write memory" is the original ! name for this operation and still works. Building configuration... [OK] temp-bh#

Reply to
Bod43

You may also wish to investigate the Cisco 857 Config Wizard:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese Cisco Technical Forums

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.