I'm confused - what is the difference between the 837 and the 857?
What I need it for:
- 8Mbps ADSL access to Internet (web sites, email, newsgroups etc) for a small office. (i.e protocols HTTP, SMTP, POP, NNTP, FTP)
- NAT support so all users share a single external fixed IP-address.
- VPN support (not just pass-through) so that the router will initiate a VPN tunnel to a customer site (where they have a Checkpoint Firewall-1 device) whenever a user attempts to make a TCP connection to an IP-address at the customer site (telnet, FTP, SSH, whatever).
- I don't know IOS.
- I have some basic knowledge of IP routing.
- I have configured home ADSL routers.
- I have set up and used Windows based VPNs
I've read Ciscos's datra sheets for the two devices and can see a few relatively minor differences (PAP, CHAP, AES, SSH) but Cisco make it hard to compare the 837 and 857.
Should I buy an 837 or an 857?