Cisco 857 and 877 routers

Hi all

Could anyone say what the differences are between the 857 and 877 routers? We have up till now used the 837 router and PC World Business have said the 857 was the replacement, but on looking at the Cisco website they are saying the 877 is the replacement for the 837.

The main thing we need from the new routers are the ability to have a site-to-site VPN between head office, and two remote sites, possibly a

3rd, and also 4 or 5 remote users using a VPN client. Hard to say how many remote users could be connected at the one time.

Thanks

Ewan.

Reply to
Ewan McNab
Loading thread data ...

so.. in short..

850 has ~10Kpps and ~5Mbps throughput of cleartext CEF (meaning that the 851 can't handle a 10Mbit WAN connection.. not even close) 870 has ~25Kpps and ~13Mbps throughput of cleartext CEF 850 has 5 concurrent vpn sessions supported with 8Mbps of forwarding @ 3des .. seems odd given the other stated numbers but that's what they say.. 870 has 10 concurrent vpn sessions supported with 30Mbps of forwarding @ 3des

also 850 has no IPS or NAC support..

soo.. 850 is a ghetto version of 870.. if it's got the juice you need make sure you get it for a very good price, otherwise i'd recommend the 870 series for you.

cheerio.

Reply to
Captainahab

oh yeah.. i forgot to mention that the "stated" VPN performance numbers are bullshit.. the cleartext one's are the numbers to look at.. i got the numbers of cisco's portable product sheets for vpn and they are quite obviously bogus.. i added them merely for comical relief.. ;-)

Reply to
Captainahab

Ewan McNab schrieb:

If you are happy with a 837 with k9o3y Feature Set, you may happy with the 857 which is advsecurity only.

If you needed features from PLUS Feature Set, you may need the 877 which offers advipservices.

The performance of 857 is still above the 837.

Reply to
Uli Link

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.