Convert Cisco 857 to 857w?

Hello all,

I have a Cisco 857w with the POTS ADSL dead because of a lightning storm, the router is operationnal but the CD led is desperatyly blinking.

I tried to open the box discovered a (presumed) fuse labelled F1, tested OK, so I declared the 857w dead.

I noticed that the Wifi part is a module connected via a SoDIMM-like connector, do you think it is possible to buy a brand new 857 and add the Wifi module in it to make it a 857w?

RAM and Flash are the same size between 857 and 857w.

Any experience would be appreciated.

Thank you for your attention.

Best regards.

Laurent.

PS: A low end wifi router that costs 50 USD is still alive on the POTS line next to the one on wich the 857w was connected. It seems that price does not makes quality?

Reply to
Laurent
Loading thread data ...

No, I had one open once, the parts were either not there, or a totally different motherboard. I can't remember which it was. Cisco typically makes a motherboard for many systems, and then doesn't populate the parts.

You should have 90 days warantee from cisco. If its past that, I haven't had any problem in the past putting a small broken box onto Smartnet, and then calling in the repair after that. Since NBD Smartnet for a 857 is all of $32 (CON-SNT-CISC857A), find a reseller that will do that, and you'll have a new one in your hands NBD in a cross-ship.

Lightning can't tell how much things cost, and is unpredictable as hell what it'll fry. Next time, it could be the opposit, or, both, or neither. It'll never do the same thing twice.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Doug McIntyre wrote in news:4698e42e$0$62340$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

I did not know that CON-SNT-CISC857A was only $32... I will ask my reseller on monday. But do you think that Cisco will be OK to be paid $32 to replace a dead 857? Would be nice as I am not very happy to pay hundreds dollars for a new one.

I will check with my reseller, thank you for this idea.

Best regards.

I hope that it will not do the same thing twice :o)

Reply to
Laurent

Doug McIntyre wrote in news:4698e42e$0$62340$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

Hello Doug,

I have subscribed a smartnet for this box as you suggested and the new 857 is now up and running. RIP for the old one.

Thank you for the idea.

Best regards.

Reply to
Laurent

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.