Port Forwarding with Westell 2200 and Linksys WRT54G v2.2

I'd like to get Ultra VNC working between my home and office, but am having problems with port forwarding (I think).

It seems likely that my problem arises from my equipment settings. I hope someone can advise me what to do so that I can set it up correctly.

Equipment & Setup ISP Verizon Modem Westell 2200 Router Linksys WRT54G v2.2 - set up so ports 5800 & 5900 are forwarded to my machine - seen as 192.168.1.9

Everything is set up and working fine except that I cannot make my UltraVNC connect.

From what I've read, the problem is that both the modem and router are

acting as routers and the right thing is to turn off the modem's router function. What I'm scared of is fouling things up so that nothing works instead of just this one app.

Can someone tell me what I have to do to access the Westell and set it properly - assuming I don't have to change the Linksys.

I'd also appreciate advice on how I get back to where I was if I somehow screw up - I've been scared by directions I've read elsewhere that start with "press the reset button" on the Westell. That seems like an invitation to difficulties.

My thanks.

Jim Mitchell

Reply to
AEngineerDU
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.