Use off-the-shelf DSL modems to extend ethernet?

I'd like to know whether I could take two retail ADSL modems and use them to extend an ethernet connection?

Since the phone company can connect over 18,000 feet of twisted pair, I thought that I could get at least half the distance.

I realize that there are ethernet extenders that will do this. Using a couple of low cost DSL modems seemed too obvious.

Thanks. CHris

Reply to
Chris
Loading thread data ...

Chris wrote: : I'd like to know whether I could take two retail ADSL modems and use : them to extend an ethernet connection?

: Since the phone company can connect over 18,000 feet of twisted pair, : I thought that I could get at least half the distance.

: I realize that there are ethernet extenders that will do this. Using : a couple of low cost DSL modems seemed too obvious.

I've not dabbled with any ADSL equipment in this fashion, but a lot (if not most) SDSL CPE equipment will allow you to run two of them in a 'back to back' configuration. Find a couple of them on e-bay, and you should have your cheap ethernet extension.

Reply to
John Osmon

You can't with ADSL modems, but if you find some SDSL or ShDSL modems you should be able to no problem. Paradyne, Ascend & Cisco make ShDSL gear.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.