Advice on the broadband choice

Hello all,

I need some advice on broadband choice, between T1 and DSL. I know that they both have their own adv and disadv.

But, let me describe the situation,

"We currently have two buildings with around 600-700 residents. We are only able to provide around 240 DSL users, and of course, the waiting list is pretty long. We are expecting to increase our service to another 144 new users. The people who are in charge are purchasing more modems because of it."

Now, I wonder, what's the max # of users DSL can provide? How about T1? What's its max # of users?

The building will need re-wiring of course, will it worth to invest in T1? The first installation will cost some amount of money.

So far, we have spent around 60K, and are expecting to spend another

30K on another 144 new users. Will migrating to T1 help?

Well, in the end, my team and I need some convincing reason to convince telecommunication office to migrate to T1.

Thank you all,

Victor

Reply to
Victor
Loading thread data ...

A standard NAT router can only handle 253 simultaneous users. That's spreading bandwidth pretty thin, however.

DSL is typically 1.5 Mbit/s downstream, 256 Kb/s up. Ranges from 6.0M-256K down and 512-128K up. T1 is 1.5 Mbit/s down &

1.5 Mb/s up. Depending on how slow your residents will accept, you'll need multiples of either to each of your buildings. Your ISP or telco should be able to help you.

Not if you run DSL to each of the apartments. It can (and usually does) piggy-back on a standard phone signal (one pair). If you rewire, go with Cat5e ethernet.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Neither ! (unless you can get multiple VDSL circuits)

You should get two T3 (DS3 -- which is equiv. to ~28 T1 lines ) and inverse multiplex that into sub-channels. One for each building with each sub-channel based upon a multiple, of your choice of 64K. Then each sub-channel should go to a NAT device to serve X number of residents.

A T1 is symmetrical 1.5Mb/s and you can't divide that 700 ways. Assuming worse case, each residence would be worse of than 2400Baud Dial-Up. At least with a pair T3 circuits 672 residents would get, worse case scenario, the equiv. of an ISDBN line or ~128Kb/s.

An alternate, based upon your locale, would be FIOS.

Dave

Reply to
David H. Lipman

I forget. Assuming $3900/month per T3 with 672 residence that's ~$12 per residence. Charging $20/month would be fair.

Dave

Reply to
David H. Lipman

This question is a little strange. Both DSL and T1 are used for WAN, that is long distance, connections. Well, in the thousands of feet range. T1 can be used through telephone company systems, but for shorter distances, maybe 5000 feet, it can run through dedicated two pair wiring. That is, you lease from the phone company wires from one place to another but that don't go through any phone company electronics.

Within a building it is more usual to use ethernet, at least from wiring closets to individual rooms. I suppose it would be possible to use DSL, putting DSL head end electronics somewhere in the building, but I have never heard of that being done. T1 could also be used within a building, but again I have never heard of it being done.

Now, if your residents are using DSL service directly from an ISP, usually a phone company, then it is usually a direct deal between a resident and the ISP. Unless the building phone wiring isn't up to standard, in which case it should be redone.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

I suspect that Glen was referring to a single copper span. Short haul T1/E1 LIUs (driver chips) are rated up to 655 feet. Long haul LIUs are rated to many thousands of feet... generally something between 2000 and

Beyond that range, you either need a regenerator/repeater type device, or an optical/electrical converter (and even then, 77 miles is over 120 km, a longer reach than most optical products would provide).

As for the original question, I'm a little unclear on exactly what the OP has currently in terms of infrastructure. Does he really have 240 DSL lines active from the CO into the two buildings? I'd think that a protected DS3, OC-3, or rate limited GbE would be considerably cheaper per month than that many DSL's.

Marc

Reply to
Marc Randolph

Really ?

T1 for 5,000 feet ?

My T1 line stretches 77 miles through New Jersey.

Dave

Reply to
David H. Lipman

It may very well be a troll as it was posted via Google and if it was important to the OP than the OP would have returned to the thread by now.

Dave

| > T1 for 5,000 feet ? | >

| > My T1 line stretches 77 miles through New Jersey. | >

| >

Reply to
David H. Lipman

What about an ISP? Will TPC (The Phone Comapany) allow you to sublease there broadband? You have spent 60,000.00 USD and don't have those answers yet?

multiplex that

multiple, of

X number of

worse case, each

circuits 672

Reply to
Earl Camembert

Even a private line goes through TPC's network. As Dave has pointed out TPC can send a circuit around the world

Reply to
Earl Camembert

You are correct Earl. This was not mentioned and the ISP would tack on a fee if the service is "commercial" in nature and resold.

Dave

| >Dave | | What about an ISP? Will TPC (The Phone Comapany) allow you to sublease | there broadband? You have spent 60,000.00 USD and don't have those | answers yet? | | | | >

| >

|
Reply to
David H. Lipman

if the service

For your sake I hope no one from the Verizon groups read what you said.

inverse multiplex

a multiple,

serve X number

worse case,

Reply to
Earl Camembert

I want to thank you on all of your expert advice.

I'll have meeting today, so I'll find out more about the current infrastructure.

Thank you again.

Victor

Reply to
Victor

Victor:

What were the results of the meeting ?

Did you do a site survey ?

Dave

| >

| > >This question is a little strange. Both DSL and T1 are used | > >for WAN, that is long distance, connections. Well, in | > >the thousands of feet range. T1 can be used through | > >telephone company systems, but for shorter distances, | > >maybe 5000 feet, it can run through dedicated two pair | > >wiring. That is, you lease from the phone company wires | > >from one place to another but that don't go through any | > >phone company electronics. | >

| > Even a private line goes through TPC's network. As Dave has pointed | > out TPC can send a circuit around the world

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.