Just wasted an afternoon - for what??!!! Dedicated DSL line loses sync

Well, it was supposed to be a rewarding afternoon, if not fun. I got sick and tired of all those silly little filters that have to be put in line with every phone in the house in order to use ADSL. Also, a guy from SBC told me that the more twisted-pair between the demarc and the DSL modem, the better. I have been running all sorts of phone wire around my attic to various rooms and I know a lot of it is not twisted pair.

I recently changed ISPs and my old ISP "surprised" me with a $100 charge if I didn't return my old modem with filters. That sealed the deal. I was determined to reduce the number of filters on my phone system to ONE, once and for all!!

I sacrificed an extra filter I had, soldering wires to the "line in" and "phone out" jack locations, then ran a rather nice 3-pair shielded twisted-pair run directly from the demarc to where my DSL modem is. Then, I wired my neat little modified filter between the demarc and the rest of my interior wiring. "Ingenious!" I thought to myself, expecting to go in and relax with a beer while surfing the web with unprecedented reliability.

CRAP! My plan bit the dust when I went inside and found that my modem was dropping sync all over the place. Just as bad as things were when the phone company discovered a bridge tap on my line a few months ago. After disconnecting my "miracle filter" at the demarc, it synced up nicely. Curious, I connected a filter between the DSL modem and the rest of the interior wiring at the modem location, and I continued to get good sync. That's where I left things for now.

I am now very, very confused. I always thought one filter at the demarc, with a dedicated direct line to the DSL modem, was the way to go. Now I find it's not the case. At least the second best idea, a dedicated line to the modem with a filter to the rest of the house, seems to work. But why doesn't the filter work outside? Could it be that my DSL modem sees the rest of the interior wiring, on the other side of the filter, as a "bridge tap?" I always thought DSL modems were "blind" to things on the other side of a filter.

Has anyone else tried this idea, and succeeded?

Just curious!

Reply to
Desert Tripper
Loading thread data ...

Filters that go between wall phone jack and phone are low pass audio only that block DSL frequencys.

You need an ASDL NID POTS Splitter like below

formatting link

Reply to
JimK

OK I think I'll try one of those. I found a lot of those type of devices listed on eBay. I take it they have a different sort (or perhaps more elaborate) filtering scheme than the cheapo "self-install" type filters? I'm still confused as to why a filter will work for each telephone individually but not with the voice network of the house as a whole.

In any case, the "weatherized" outdoor box will give me more peace of mind than a modded cheapo filter hanging off the demarc.

Reply to
Desert Tripper

While all phone wire is paired, not all of it is twisted. Many houses are wired with two-pair wire where the pairs are diagonally opposed, but not twisted in any way.

Look up Grade 1, D-Station, or Quad wire on Google.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

All phone wire is twisted pair.

Reply to
John S.

I too tried Verizon DSL Red Light and slower than dialup at times. They say line great no problem enjoy. Not true. Reboot Modem Reboot Computer, Wasted time. I thought DSL was to save time. Not True Now 30 days have goon by. I told them it hasn't worked and that I hadn't had

30 days of service and I wanted every dollar BACK. They said yes. At this time haven't seen credit. Charges are still being billed for new service and it was removed. I loved it connecting at 3.meg and 2.7 meg but than Red-Light next 10 to 15 Min. Verizon drops the Ball here with DSL. Looks like some won could get them off there fat ass and make it work. They need a class action law suite.
Reply to
Alan

Have you tried your states public service commission? Bitching about it here wont do any good... If you are in NY this is the web address

formatting link

Reply to
cosdocs

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.