forgive me for my stupidity, but how does upnp help me?

Hi,

I was just wondering how uPNP helps me?

I have Windows XP and a UPNP Router and UPNP DSL Modem but I still have problems sending files with MSN Messenger and AOL Messenger

so if UPNP doesn't help me send files thru a firewall, then whats the point? i don't get it

thanks

Reply to
Koolaid
Loading thread data ...

Are you sure uPnP is activated on the router? It doesn't always default to activated.

Are you sure you have the services turned on in your computer? In addition to uPnP, there's also a discovery service that needs to be on.

Finally, do you have a software firewall running? Not all firewalls listen to uPnP.

Reply to
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

It allows anything whether good or bad to control your firewall. The first thing I do is turn it off...

Reply to
George

If you have anything bad on your side of the router, turning off UPnP is futile. If you don't have anything bad on your side of the router, leaving UPnP on is helpful in some cases.

I have it on. Nothing bad on my side of the router. Nothing from the Internet side can access my router for UPnP control.

Reply to
NormanM

The problem that you have could be related to the MTU size, as your ISP is AOL, change MTU to 1400....

Should work.

Reply to
.......GF

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.