Speedstream 5100b modem makes a high pitched noise

We just got the SBC Yahoo! DSL service which came with a Speedstream 5100b (5 light) modem. The only problem is the modem makes a continuous high pitched noise. It's just at the edge of my upper range and gets annoying at times. I wonder if this is a "feature" of the 5100b or (hopefully) just a problem with the specific unit we have? Thanks!

Reply to
Swingman
Loading thread data ...

A number of people report this.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

Thanks for all the replies. The noise is not on the phone line (filters are installed). I'll have to check to see if the modem or the "wall-wart" is the source of the noise. The noise goes away when the modem is switched off, so it's definitely one or the other. Regardless of which it is though, shouldn't I just arrange for SBC to replace the unit?

Reply to
Swingman

The modem itself? Or on the phone line? The latter is normal and you need to install the DSL filters.

If on the modem, is it the modem or the wall-wart? Newer lightweight wall warts are often switch-mode PSUs that can make noise. Easiest to replace with a heavier transformer based unit.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:59:26 -0800, "Swingman" put finger to keyboard and composed:

light) modem. The only problem is the modem makes a continuous high pitched noise. It's just at the edge of my upper range and gets annoying at times. I wonder if this is a "feature" of the 5100b or (hopefully) just a problem with the specific unit we have? Thanks!

The noise you are hearing is probably due to loose coil windings. Spray some PCB lacquer on the coils and/or transformers in the switchmode PSU section.

- Franc Zabkar

Reply to
Franc Zabkar

Yes, it would be best to complain. How else will they have any chance of improving?

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Folks might be interested to know that after a number of phone calls to three different DSL divisions SBC is sending out a new modem. I forgot how difficult and frustrating it can be to get support from phone companies, but now I remember . I'll post again RE the noise after the new modem is installed.

Reply to
Swingman

Finally received the new modem and I'm happy to say that it does not "whistle". Installing was a snap, i.e. after connecting the wires I entered the setup and inputted the user name and password - it immediately began working.

Reply to
Swingman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.