Continually losing SBC Yahoo! DSL connection - can you help?

We've only had the account for a few weeks and it's been pretty unreliable from the beginning. We have a five light Speedstream 5100 modem and the DSL light has been blinking red for extended periods every day! Each time we call customer support they walk us through the ritual, i.e. "turn off the modem, unplugged the phone line, etc" while they fiddle on their end. We can usually get it working and it's ok for a while. Then the next morning the red light is blinking again. We've already had the modem replaced because the first one emitted an annoying high pitched whine. The new one is quiet, but the service hasn't improved. I'm going to check the wiring in the phone jack to make sure nothing is lose, but FWIW there is always dial-tone on the phone that shares the line with the modem (filters installed, of course) when the DSL is not working. Any help with fixing this will be appreciated. As a last resort I'm prepared to cancel the service, but I'm willing to make an effort to get it working first. TIA!

Reply to
Swingman
Loading thread data ...

DSL operates at higher frequencies than voice conversations. The presence of a dialtone doesn't tell you much about the quality of the line for DSL.

If possible, plug the modem into the NID, disconnecting the house wiring. The NID is the grey box, usually on an outside wall, where the telco line is connected to the house wiring. If you are in an apartment, you probably cannot do this. Note that this is just for testing. You are not expected to permanently disconnect the house wiring.

If you get good service with this NID test, then you have a good telco line with problems in the house wiring. If you continue to lose your connection during the NID test, then you have a bad telco line. It helps to know which is which, so you can know where to start in fixing the problem.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

Call back and tell the first tier tech you have "intermittant synch". He should ask about sources of EMI (halogen lamps or fans close to modem, is the modem inside a microwave oven) and then issue a trouble ticket for the line department to repair the problem. It will take longer to fill out the paperwork then it will to troubleshoot.

Or: Post in an appropriate group at

formatting link
You will probably be invited to post in one of the 'private' groups so the second tier techs can get your dsl telephone number.

Reply to
Kay Archer

Thanks for the replies. I'll checkout dslreports.com. Also, I've noticed when calling SBC Yahoo DSL customer support that there's a "technician visit" (or something like that) option. Do you know what this entails, i.e. what an SBC technician would attempt to accomplish? For instance, if the problem is the wiring to the jack in my office would he fix that? I wonder what a tech visit would cost?

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks for the replies. I'll checkout dslreports.com. Also, I've noticed when calling SBC Yahoo DSL customer support that there's a "technician visit" (or something like that) option. Do you know what this entails, i.e. what an SBC technician would attempt to accomplish? For instance, if the problem is the wiring to the jack in my office would he fix that? I wonder what a tech visit would cost?

Not sure about costs, probably a $60 minimum with $60/hour rate.

If a trouble ticket is issued, there is always the possibility of a technician visit (and the possibility of charges for a truck roll). If the wiring (or filter installation, etc) on your side of the demarc is the problem, then charges would likely ensue.

If it is a telco problem (such as a load coil on the line) then the issue would be referred to telco repair for resolution (add 2-3 days for repair to finish). If it is a dsl problem (something wrong at the dslam, e.g.) then the problem could be fixed without a technician visit.

Reply to
Kay Archer

I read your account and am not surprised. Based on having the service only a few weeks I would agree with your assessment of the customer support. I seriously need to find out if I can still cancel the service at this point without incurring an "early termination fee". Do you know the procedure?

Reply to
Swingman

I endured the same problem as you for one year. In short, cancel the service while you still can. SBC is bent on profitability by destroying their own support infrastructure and blaming customers for their own problems. See my experiences at:

formatting link

If you see a 'X' in my address, please remove it before e-mailing me. Do not add me to any MicroSoft address book; let's stop the viruses. Do not send me unsolicited mail. I track and report spammers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The FAQ files v1.21 for the Tropez, and v1.01 for the TBS-2001 sound boards can be obtained from:

formatting link

Reply to
Read below before mailing

Somewhere in SBC's web site, where they let you sign up for DSL, there is mention of a 30-day guarantee. I believe you can cancel within 30 days, no questions asked (supposedly). If you are beyond 30 days, be sure to document EACH AND EVERY outage you experience. If you are able to bear with tier 1 support to the end of their brain-dead troubleshooting, be sure to request and write down the trouble ticket # they are supposed to issue you. You may be able to use this ammo as reason for cancellation, but YMMV.

- Author of

formatting link

If you see a 'X' in my address, please remove it before e-mailing me. Do not add me to any MicroSoft address book; let's stop the viruses. Do not send me unsolicited mail. I track and report spammers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The FAQ files v1.21 for the Tropez, and v1.01 for the TBS-2001 sound boards can be obtained from:

formatting link

Reply to
Read below before mailing

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.