Newbie to SBC DSL

Hello all! I hope this is the right group for my question.

I currently use Earthlink dial-up to access the net. I have no problems with it except it's not DSL.

I just found out that SBC is offering DSL (SBC Yahoo) in my area according to their web site when I punch in my phone number. I have been calling SBC for months asking them if they had DSL in my area. Now they do.

Last night I called the SBC Yahoo number and asked if they really do have DSL in my area. I was told they only have the $19.95 package available. The guy on the phone said the $30.00 package is not available to me because I live too far away from their box or whatever.

Anyway, I would like some opinions on SBC Yahoo. Is it any good? Is it worth the time and money to move up from dial-up to SBC DSL? Will I be able to do some decent video chatting with the $19.95 package? What about live video?

Also, I currently have a second phone number line in my house just for my dial-up. Will I be able to keep the phone jack that I use but switch the phone number over to the regular house phone number line so I can lower by telephone bill? I had a second phone line installed for my computer about five years ago. I would like to use that phone jack because it sits right under my computer desk.

Will I be able to use my regular web browser (Internet Explorer) after I load the SBC Yahoo program? Will I still be able to use Outlook Express for my e-mail? I would prefer to use Internet Explorer.

Finally, their web site says the $19.95 is guaranteed for twelve months. What happens after twelve months? Will they jack the bill up to $30.00 or something? Also, what other charges will I have to pay with this DSL? I've seen something called FUSM or something like that.

Thanks!

Reply to
Von Fourche
Loading thread data ...

I'm also too far from the CO (Central Office). But you could be on a RT (Remote Terminal).

I beats dialup.

I don't do much video, so I can't really answer that. But video news clips from yahoo are fine.

You can maybe get a POTS Splitter, install it in your NID, and connect the DSL output of that to the wires for your second line. You can probably ask SBC to do that if you get a technician install. If you get the self-install kit, then you will have to do that wiring yourself. (The technician install will have an associated fee).

The best advice is to not load the SBC Yahoo software. You can do a manual registration using the guidelines in

formatting link
formatting link

After 12 months, it will go up to the regular price, maybe something like 49.95 per month. But, just before the 12 months are over, you can call in and ask for another 12 month contract at their contract rate available at that time. It would be $26.95 right now, and if anything prices are going down.

The FUSF was a $1.84 on last month's bill.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

I thought I would just call and ask SBC to switch the phone line number over to the home number. Then with the self install kit, don't you just hook up some filter into the phone jack in the wall? Then hook the DSL cable into the filter slot, then hook the phone line into the filter phone slot (I would not need to hook the phone line up)?

Reply to
Von Fourche

This sounds about right: DSL service is added to the existing line of your choice, the phone number is unaffected. Filters are added to the jacks to confine the DSL signals to the appropriate equipment.

DSL is much superior to dialup in terms of speed, for my part the signal has been no less reliable than POTS. The dynamic IP service is definitely a better deal than dual phone lines. The static IP service is flexible (they don't seem to mind if you run a webserver, which a lot of cable companies prohibit) but the support folks aren't very well coordinated....the ISP group does not talk to the domain registration group, which knows nothing of the DNS department. Once everybody's on the same page it seems to work pretty well, but that takes a lot of time on the phone, toll-free fortunately.

Oh, one little "gotcha", the static service requires a $250 "technician visit". It has some value, at least you'll _know_ the wires are good.

In sum, I don't think you'll regret the change.

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

It should be a minimum of 192k (compare to your theoritical maximum of 56k for dial).

Have the service to the second line turned off. Change the wiring at the demarc to put your main line to that jack

Yes and yes. Also Mozilla, Opera and other browsers will work. As will Eudora, Agent and other internet programs. Note: SCCIS tech support will only help you with IE and setting up Outlook and Outlook Express.

Dunno, you'll want to ask billing about that (the sales dept may not know* and tech support certainly doesn't).

*Or something like that
Reply to
Kay Archer

Yes, you could do it that way. I thought you were asking about something more complex.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

This point deserves emphasis. The consensus on the broadbandreports forum is that using the SBC software is asking for trouble. They strongly recommend not letting that CD near your computer. The bottom line here is that you want SBC to provide an Internet connection, and use whatever Internet applications you want (IE, OE, whatever). And if any software is needed at all (and depending on the modem they send you, it may not be) it will already be on your computer if you use XP.

Reply to
CharlesH

I just called earthlink and signed up for their DSL service. Never had any problems with their dial-up. Hopefully I wont with their DSL. The reports about SBC Yahoo customer service scared me off.

Reply to
Von Fourche

The current CDs (5.0 and 5.1) will not install software if you deselect the software to be installed.

The registration process will attempt to install software at the point where you select the default email service. If you select 'use current' the install will fail. (about half the time if you select SBC/Yahoo it will fail (g)).

With the release of the new modems (Efficient 4100 and 2wire*) the SST software will not be 'de-selectable'. (And wait till you see what the SST software does to your cache).

*I forget the model number, but despite being a 2wire, it is not a router and only connects one computer.
Reply to
Kay Archer

I realize that this response is a little dated, but thought I'd add my 2 cents anyway...

My SBC Yahoo DSL was turned on the middle of April and I've made two calls to SBC Yahoo customer support. The first was concerning the defective 5100b Speedstream DSL modem/router that was defective out of the box, the second one was just today regarding resetting an account password for a client and sync problems between the client's 5100b and a Linksys BEFVP41 router. In both cases the SBC Yahoo rep was knowledgeable, professional, and extremely helpful.

In the first case the 5100b was indeed defective, and the rep helped in getting me a replacement in 3 working days.

In the second case, I'd been having problems with DNS/VPN/Internet connection drops between the Linksys and the 5100b. I explained to the rep that it was not a 5100b and/or SBC Yahoo problem, but most likely my router configuration settings. The rep suggested putting the 5100b in bridge mode and allowing the BEFVP41 to do the PPoE instead. The guy stayed on the line while I set up both devices, then once working he stayed on and had me do a couple of tests to verify that all was well. Worked like a charm...

I should note that I had also spoken with Linksys support previously... talk about sad, sorry, worthless, they are it. The first guy (in India) didn't even realize that I could create FQDN VPN's, and suggested that I stay with firmware that was 2 years old. The second guy (Philippines) had no idea either.

I hope that the Earthlink DSL will work out for you -- just wanted to let you know that there are indeed some good tech support folks out there, and not all are script drones.

G. (20+ years WAN & global networking experience... just new to the local client side small connections :-)

Reply to
glgxg
[some snipping occurred here]

Unfortunately a violation of the agent's "Scope of support". If he had been monitored he could be fired for helping a customer with a router. Also accessing the Advanced functions of the 5100b is prohibited.

Many of the first tier tech's would'nt know a bridge if they drove off one...

All that said, bridging the modem is the recommended method as seen at broadbandreports.com:

formatting link

I've had trouble with DLink and Symantec support for router/firewall/vpn support as well. Dlink was 50-50, two good techs, two bad techs. Symantec does not support vpn on their hardware.

From Symantec's email (yes, I'm still mad): From Symantec ( snipped-for-privacy@symantec.com, 16 Jan 2003)):

"Examples of issues where Support by phone is not included: You are attempting to enhance network performance of the appliance You are attempting to configure IP addresses within the network You are attempting to configure the VPN feature You are attempting to use Dynamic DNS with the appliance

Reply to
Kay Archer

Nah, setting the 5100b in bridge mode and allowing the BEFVP41 to do the PPoE works great - I haven't had any problems since. I even have forced the locations to change their IP's multiple times, and each time the connections and VPN's pop right back in and the dynamic DNS's get updated within a matter of seconds (also via the router and dyndns.org).

Regarding the patch: I have the patch installed and it hasn't affected me - I already have TcpWindowSize setup in my registry on the Win2k machines (see:

formatting link
) and have it set for 255552. I tried between 255552 and 513290 and found that the 255552 setting with an MTU of 1492 seems to work the best for me.

Reply to
glgxg

try removing this patch from windows if you have it installed, look in the windows directory , at the very top are a bunch of directories on will end in anumber 893066 remove it. by using the uninstall app inside that folder and reboot see if it helps

formatting link

Reply to
dude

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.