Question about Speedstream 5100 modem and router combo

When the modem is properly connected (five green lights) I can access it's setup (192.168.0.1) with the router (192.168.1.1, DHCP enabled) in the circuit. However, when there's a problem with the connection, such as the internet light being off, I cannot get into the modem config through the router. I have to plug the computer Ethernet wire directly into the modem. Any idea why that would be the case and if there's a workaround so I don't have to mess with the wiring?

Reply to
Swingman
Loading thread data ...

"Swingman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

If I understand sub-netting right and assuming your subnet mask is

255.255.255.0 then your router and modem are in different subnets (192.168.0.x vs 192.168.1.x). It seems to me that both the router and modem would have to be in the same subnet to work properly (ie they both have to have addresses beginning with 192.168.0 or 192.168.1.
Reply to
Some One

Thanks for the reply. I tried changing the IP addresses along the lines you suggested, i.e. since the DSL modem is set to 192.168.0.1 I set the router to 192.168.0.2, but this didn't work at all. I could not connect to either the modem setup or the router setup, nor could I get out to the internet. Changing the router back to 192.168.1.1 enabled everything again. The only problem though is the original one, i.e when the modem is having a connection problem I cannot get into it's setup screens through the router. I have to disconnect the router and plug directly into the modem. Any additional thoughts?

Reply to
Swingman

it's setup (192.168.0.1) with the router (192.168.1.1, DHCP enabled) in the circuit. However, when there's a problem with the connection, such as the internet light being off, I cannot get into the modem config through the router. I have to plug the computer Ethernet wire directly into the modem. Any idea why that would be the case and if there's a workaround so I don't have to mess with the wiring?

With the normal 5100b config it should connect PPPoE automatically and give your router a DHCP IP on its WAN. However, default DHCP lease time for ethernet side of 5100b is a rather short 10 minutes, which you may want to lengthen if connected to a router. I do not know what the default idle disconnect time is for PPPoE, but you may want to check that too.

If you are trying to figure out what is going on with PPPoE, you can set the 5100b to let the computer do PPPoE (computer in this case would be your router). Then configure your router to do PPPoE (using full e-mail address for login name if SBC). Your router logs should tell what is happening with PPPoE connection, but you may not be able to access modem at all unless you reset it (I think reset hole is hidden by label on bottom).

Reply to
David Efflandt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.