Speedstream 5100b

Received a new Efficient Speedstream 5100b modem/router as part of an SBC offering -- fired it up last night & it was working just fine. Turned off my computers, left the modem on (all lights on the modem indicated that it was well - green).

This morning I check the 5100b and find what looks to be a repeated POST (Power On Start Test); all lights off for approx. 20 seconds, then for approx. 4-5 seconds:

Power light flashes red (not steady red, but flashing red) Ethernet light steady green DSL light steady green Internet light steady green Activity light steady green

Then all lights go dead again for another 20 seconds. This occurs with or without the Ethernet and/or DSL line connected to the unit.

To ensure that it wasn't a problem with the surge protector that I had it plugged into, I disconnected the device & reconnected to a direct electrical outlet; same symptoms. Also tried resetting the device with the reset button on the bottom of the box -- no luck/change.

The DSL provider (SBC) is shipping me a new 5100b within the next few days, but even so I curious as to what might have happened. There were no recorded power surges, not electrical storms, nothing obvious that I can think of from the electrical input standpoint... I even went so far as to eliminate supplied power transformer/plug unit by testing with a good known alternate power unit -- same symptoms.

At this point I'm wondering if perhaps: 1) the unit has a bad flash/rom that failed during the night, or 2) the DSL provider (SBC) did something from their side during the night - tried to do a flash update or remote config that failed, etc., that may have caused the problem.

Has anyone ever heard of this this happening?

Reply to
glgxg
Loading thread data ...

Possible. Consider the following as well: spike, surge, sag or brownout: all power line conditions that can cause problems

or 2) the DSL provider (SBC) did

Doubtful, flash updates are between you and Efficient Networks (the modem maker).

Ask your neighbors if any of them had any electronic devices crash the same night.

Not in that particular modem or order perhaps...

Reply to
Kay Archer

This is certainly a possibility. However if so, then the unit has a very low tolerance to power fluctuations as all other devices on the power main line didn't blink during the night. The unit was surge protected, and I do have another device that was connected to the same surge protector that has a power log to let me know if the power goes outside of standard norms. The unit has an external power supply (transformer plug) that operates at Input:120VAC,300mA,60Hz, Output:12V/1A. And given that the EPS is working just fine, and an alternate EPS connected to the unit didn't change the symptoms, I suspect that the unit is simply defective. I suppose we all get a bad one once in awhile :-)

I'm not sure that is entirely correct. Yes I can flash the device from my side, but it is certainly possible that someone from the DSL supplier side could have just as easily done the same. It it also very possible that the DSL supplier may have been running a diag etc on the device during the night (given that this is a new install/connect) and ran a test or config change that caused the device to reset to a POST type condition every 20 seconds.

The purpose of my speculation is not to accuse them of causing the device to go bad, but to try and figure out what may have happened to cause this device to go into a POST type reset mode every 20 seconds within 24 hours of plugging it in. Had the unit just flat failed (power off, no lights, constant read power light etc) then I would just figure that the Chinese manufacturers just shipped a failed unit. But the 20 second reset has me curious... and points to a firmware problem instead of a hardware problem.

Reply to
glgxg

What I mean is, SBC _does not_ do flash updates of the modems. If you call SBC and ask about a flash update, the vast majority of first tier support (FTS) agents will not have a clue what you are talking about. And if they do, they will refer you to Efficient Networks website.

They do run diagnostics on the line, but only to the point of making a connection with the modem and testing the line conditions, again nothing that would cause a normally operating modem to reset or fry.

Yes, you just happened to get a bad modem.

P.S., I keep my (cable) modem powered through a UPS, not a surge protector.

Reply to
Kay Archer

I think you're right.

While I have your attention...

In the process of trying to figure out what is wrong with the modem/router I downloaded the manual for the Speedstream 5100b. I was surprised (and pleased) to learn that the Speedstream 5100b has a built in Dynamic DNS Client, that when enabled & configured will automatically forward and update dynamic IP information to dyndns.org.

Just prior to receiving the modem/router I had was considering using one of the several 3rd party DDC's for either dyndns.org or zoneedit etc. However if this unit already has the DDC built into the firmware I might as well give this a try instead. Any experience using this DDC in the Speedstream 5100b via SBC or other?

Reply to
glgxg

No, I've only done ddns with Symantec and Linksys routers, not the 5100b. But dydns.org is very good.

Reply to
Kay Archer

Just as a quick follow-up; UPS dropped off a new 5100b today and so far all is working well (with no SBC software on the computer); hopfully it will stay that way..

The only odd bit (and this has nothing to do with the modem/router) is that I noticed that downloads speeds via Netscape 7.2 browser & FTP were slow. N7.2 was about 28kbps FTP was about 38.8kbps. Using a test file (Mozilla

formatting link
11..0MB) with a seperate DL manager (DownLoadExpert) resulted in an average DL speed of

112kbs... looks like I have some tweaking to do.

As for the DDC in the 5100b: some reports say that SBC has crippled the firmware in the router and that the SBC consumer version is not the same as the 5100b firmware if purchased directly from Efficient. At this point I'm not about to poke and prod the new unit... I'm just going to leave it alone for the next 10 days.

Reply to
glgxg
[some snipping occured]

Wait for a 10 days before running the speedtest at help.sbcglobal.net.. This is the "ramp up" period and you may not see your final speed until the ramp up period has finished.

The SBC firmware _does_ include the SBC logo. I couldn't tell you about any other differences.

Reply to
Kay Archer

Went to

formatting link
downloaded & ran the TCP Optimizer, set it for DSL PPoE (which is what SBC uses), rebooted & tried the download via NS7.2 again just as a test. The 11Mb download came in at 152Kbps vs the previous 29-38Kbps. Worked like a charm!

Reply to
glgxg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.