Setup behind SBC Speedstream 5100

Hi,

I have a friend that has a business SBC DSL account. SBC provided him with a Speedstream 5100 modem which is connected directly to his PC. I would like to share his connection, but want to put my computers behind a separate router so they are not visible to his system. I want to do this with the minimum amount of configuration changes to his current setup.

I believe I need two routers. The first router would be connected to the speedstream and behind this router would be his computer and the secondary router in parallel. Is this correct?

More importantly, how do I need to configure the various routers to make this work?

Thanks,.

Jerry

Reply to
JerryK
Loading thread data ...

You will need to set the Speedstream to "bridge mode" (assuming it is a

5100B, 5 lights total). Instructions should be at efficientnetworks.com. The router connected to the modem must be pppoe capable and will have the userid and pwd in it. Also note that if you need to call sbc tech support, they will require that only one computer be connected to the modem for troubleshooting.
Reply to
Kay Archer

With 5 static IP addr? That makes different possibilities.

This would be one way, but you are doing double NAT. Interesting question.

It may be best to configure the secondary router as in the DMZ of the primary route.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

One of the SBC related forums at

formatting link
alias
formatting link
may have a FAQ about whether the 5100b could be configured for more than its default 1 ip behind it. The SBC Ameritech Midwest forum has instructions how to register without using the SBC software (I did that for my boss' DSL).

The 5100b setting to have a router do PPPoE would likely be something similar to PPPoE on computer (where the computer in this case is the router WAN). I don't know if the 5100b bridge mode setting is the same as that, or intended for older static accounts that use DHCP instead of PPPoE. I am using an older 5360 with Linux as pppoe/firewall/router.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.