qwest dsl phx area so slow!

I have had qwest DSL for 2 months now and I cant figure out what is wrong with it. It is only a little faster than MSN dial up. I can only get 26-28kbps on downloads. I have an actiontec modem conected to my Dell 2300 computer via an ethernet cable. On the ethernet card are two lights, both are orange. The first says 10(green)/100(orange) and the second says ACT(yellow). I have XP and the firewall is off. No antivirus is installed, so there isnt another firewall.

I dont know what other information I can share. Is it possible this is simply the fastest transfer rate qwest can deliver to my house? Ive tried a different phone jack on the same line and its exactly the same. Any recomendations and advice would be greatly appreciated because its costing me nearly 40 bucks a month and its not very fast.

Mike

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

Point your Web browser at your Actiontec router and go to the Status->Wan Status page and look at the "Speed (down/up)" which will tell you what your router thinks the line is good for. You can also see error counters and other info about the general quality of your connection.

Then try one of these tests:

formatting link
to get a better idea of how your line is really working.

You can find lots more test sites by Googling on "NDT and 7123"

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Thank you Bert. Those tests said I was doing 220kbs outbound and

217kbs inbound. I still only get 26kbs on downloads. Maybe it is a setting somewhere? Any ideas?

The actiontec wan status says

speed(up/down) 256/256

SNR margin 30/23

Transmit power 14/11

Attentuation 54/63

I dont really know what these mean. TY in advance for help

Reply to
Mike

Are you ->sure you're not confusing bps with Bps and you're not really seeing 26KBytes per second on your downloads? That would be just about the max you could see on a 256Kb line.

Otherwise, try downloading from different remote systems and use different file transfer methods and utilities. Very often its the site you're downloading FROM that's the cause of the slowdown, and since your line tests out OK, I'd start looking elsewhere for the problem.

Well, it says that you really do have a 256Kb/256Kb line, and the SNR margin is pretty good.

I have a 1500/1024 line myself with an SNR margin that's frequently worse than yours and still get solid 150KB downloads.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Mike, in your first post you said "costing me nearly 40 bucks a month", which leads me to think you have the "Qwest ChoiceT DSL Deluxe with MSN® Premium" service which is $39.99/month. If that's what you ordered the line isn't trained at what it probably should be. It looks like you may have been provisioned for the 256/256 level of service instead.

If you signed up for DSL Deluxe (& not Qwest ChoiceT DSL) first I would suggest you try power cycling the modem (pull the power cord & wait about 10 seconds then plug it in again & wait for it to reboot & connect). After it's back up & connected do what you did to see the above info, & look at this line: speed(up/down) xxxxxx (this says what the modem is trained at). If you have the Deluxe level of DSL it should train up closer to 1536/896.

If your subscribing to DSL Deluxe & the line doesn't train up to something closer to 1536/896 I think there are a couple of possibilities: 1) your modem & Qwest equipment at the other end don't think the line the line is good enough to do faster. 2)Qwest screwed up & didn't provision your line right.

If you can't get the line to train faster doing what I suggested above & your certain you ordered Deluxe DSL I'd call Qwest. Make sure they show you as having Deluxe DSL & that your line is correctly provisioned (I don't think it is if you ordered Deluxe DSL).

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Thanks guys, you were right. I am with the deluxe with msn for 39.99. Thanks for your help, either I can start paying less, or getting beter service. Never would have known without you.

Reply to
Mike

That's right; I didn't catch the reference to the price he's paying at first.

I'm paying Qwest $28/month for my 1500/1024 line, but I don't use MSN as my ISP.

The 256/256 line alone is only $15/month, but $32/month with MSN.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.