Internet access problem

Internet access and IDServe problem

This isn't a firewall issue, but I lurk in this group. I also just posted a similar question into microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless because it seemed to be an active group involving wireless and networking.

- Connectivity: Motorola SB4100 cable modem to TimeWarner infrastructure, dynamic IP - Provider: EarthLink - present IP - LAN: recent AirLink AR325W wirelessG 4 port ethernet replacing Linksys BEFSR41 wired, died - LAN elements: 3 ethernet wired running various operating systems half Win98se, half linux mostly ubuntu, one wireless Win98se with RealTek RTL8185 wireless pci nic branded as compusa wireless G pci adapter, alternately configured to access an AirLink AP421W ethernet access point or the AR325W wireless via channel 11 or 6 resp.

Problem: since replacing the linksys befsr with the airlink 325 router, the wireless W98 cannot get webpages with its browser/s, however, it can see and transact readwrite with the other computers on the network, it can ping the WAN IPs, it can resolve domainnames. It cannot ping domainnames.

Longer story: The W98se wireless could previously access the internet via the AirLink AP which was ethernetted to the Linksys BEFSR41. Currently the wireless problem computer can do everything equally well or equally poorly via the airlink access point or the airlink wireless router, namely use the LAN and ping and resolve names on the internet, but not get webpages and not get idservice from the same names it can ping. There is no software firewall.

Normal computer follows:

Initiating server query ... Looking up IP address for domain:

formatting link
The IP address for the domain is: 72.14.253.99 Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80 [Connected] Requesting the server's default page. The server returned the following response headers: HTTP/1.1 200 OK Cache-Control: private Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Set-Cookie: PREF=ID=8171b8ea0b346625:TM=1166298443:LM=1166298443:S=eH5633HkUxNjX_sX; expires=Sun, 17-Jan-2038 19:14:07 GMT; path=/; domain=.google.com Content-Encoding: gzip Server: GWS/2.1 Content-Length: 2523 Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 19:47:23 GMT Query complete.

Problem computer follows:

12/16/06 11:32:18 ping
formatting link
Ping
formatting link
(72.14.253.99) ... 1 Addr:72.14.253.99, RTT: 87ms, TTL: 237 2 Addr:72.14.253.99, RTT: 86ms, TTL: 237 3 Addr:72.14.253.99, RTT: 87ms, TTL: 237

Initiating server query ... Looking up IP address for domain:

formatting link
The IP address for the domain is: 72.14.253.99 Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80 No response was received from the machine and port at that IP. The machine may be offline or the connection port may be stealthed. Query complete.

As a result of that, I can't get webpages. I also can't telnet or IDServe transact with such as the pop or smtp server, but I can ping them by name.

Reply to
Mike Easter
Loading thread data ...

Maybe this /is/ a firewall/NAT issue somehow.

It seems to me that I am resolving and reaching the internet targets, but I am not getting anything back from them, as if the return response were getting 'lost' in the router somehow.

There is no difference between the way the wired computers which are working fine with the routers are configured compared to the wired one; that I know of. That is, they look the same in the router client list.

I'm a little puzzled by how the IP addressing works. Currently the problem wireless computer is being numbered 192.168.1.101 while the access point on the ethernet is hardwired configured to be 192.168.1.250 for browser access purposes, just like the router is 192.168.1.1 for both browser access as well as networking. However, the airlink router says that its range is 100-199, which would exclude the 250. But, the

250 AP doesn't show up at all in the router's clients.

But, as far as the network is concerned, the wireless computer appears just fine, and it seems to know its IP address. So, why shouldn't the router send responses to the 101 wireless computer the same way it sends responses to the 100 wired computer?

Reply to
Mike Easter

Reply to
Tony

The PS is a 1 amp 9 v AC output wallwart. My experience with wallwart failures is all or nothing, but I didn't test the voltage output.

Why do you suppose the linksys failure is related to a PS problem? The status condition is that the diagnostic light is steady red; if the reset button is held down during powerup, all the led lights come on transiently then go off except for the power light, the link light, and the steady diagnostic red light. If it is just powered up without the reset being depressed, the above 3 lights just come on without the transient 'panel' lighting.

I have various warts around here, but none of them are 9 v AC output. I have 6 DC, 15 DC, and 12 AC.

Reply to
Mike Easter

Reply to
Tony

So, then it is a total mystery about why one should be able to ping something while you can't telnet or IDServe or otherwise transact with it over various ports?

Must be something spooky.

That seems more interesting than wallwart voltages.

Reply to
Mike Easter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.