inter-home DSL portability

Nothing is definitive, but is my DSL service portable inside my home, from one jack to another?

Generally speaking, I simply want to relocate equipment from one room(where DSL was initiated), to another room(now having a filtered handset). Is it plug and play, or are other changes necessary?

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Walker
Loading thread data ...

As long as they are all connected to the same phone line (phone number), it makes no difference. Just remember to adjust filter locations as needed.

It is remotely possible you could get a better or worse signal level and noise, depending on the wiring.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Thanks Andrew, because you make a very good point.

First, yes the same/single number is prevalent throughout the home.

But, the more intriguing question, will my signal strength adversely affect communications?

Currently, the only thing separating my DSL jack from the incoming telco service is one exterior wall. Of cou- rse, this is no guarantee that this is the shortest path to service, but if/when I move to the other end of the home, that path is almost certain to lengthen.

I guess, as a simple test, I just need to haul the modem to the intended location, and see if it syncs OK.

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Walker

I think you're making too big of a deal about distance in your house. In my case I'm between 10,000 feet and 11,000 feet from the central office. Using 10,500 feet from the central office and assuming you're moving the modem 30 feet further away you would end up being 10,530 feet from the central office, I doubt if the DSL signal would even notice that 30 feet.

I think what the other poster was trying to say was that the quality of the wiring and the quality of the connections MIGHT make a difference.

You have the right idea, move the modem to it's new locati> Thanks Andrew, because you make a very good point.

Reply to
Someone

Yeah, you're right.

Luckily, we have a CO sitting up at the end of our street, serving the small residential edition.

I guess my concern was the path lengthening, and expos- ure to more 30+ year old wiring.

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Walker

If a NID splitter is installed you may not be able to use your modem at another location. The splitter usually make the original DSL jack a dedicated DSL jack. If you are using line filters it's probably OK to used any jack in the house.

K> Nothing is definitive, but is my DSL service portable

Reply to
kingpen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.