Bypassing POTS filter

The previous owners of our home had a filter installed next to the NID to separate the DSL and voice signals. There is only one jack in one room in the house dedicated to DSL - this is the only place my modem gets sync. However, I want to set up my computer in another room, and would like to use a nearby phone jack to receive the DSL signal.

I would like to know if it's possible to bypass the filter and simply use the microfilters SBC provided with my DSL modem. Would I simply take one of the three pairs of wires connected to the "voice" screws in the filter and put it on the "network" screws? Would that allow me to have DSL at all my working phone jacks as well as at the dedicated jack (because wires would still be coming from the "data" screws)?

My understanding is that the single pair of wires going to "network" are the incoming voice/dsl line from the NID - then the three pairs of wires going from "voice" are going back out to the phone jacks, while the single pair of wires going from "data" are going back out to the single data jack. Is this correct?

I am trying to avoid an expensive technician visit, or buying a wireless router, hub, etc. if at all possible.

Thanks.

Reply to
dslquestioner
Loading thread data ...

Yes it is possible and your understanding of the wiring to and from the splitter is correct. Normally the splitter is the "deluxe" solution. Perhaps you could continue to use the splitter, but switch one of the voice lines with the data line. If you can figure out which of the pairs goes to the outlet where you want the DSL modem to work, then make that one go to "Data" and move the existing data pair to "Voice" so it is restored to a normal phone line. Alternatively, maybe it would work for you to leave the DSL modem in some convenient place and then run a CAT5 cable from there to your new computer location.

The method that you described, to move one pair from "voice" and move it to "network" would work. You would need to put microfilers on any jacks connected to that pair that are used by a voice device (phone, FAX, analog modem, etc.)

It is possible in marginal cases that your home's wiring will deteriorate the DSL signal and cause either a loss of sync, or sync at a lower speed. Sometimes the splitters are installed to isolate theses effects without rewiring the whole place. Don't stress too much about this, just be aware that it can sometimes happen.

Reply to
George Pontis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.