Slow ATT Yahoo DSL Speed with SS5260

I get a DSL download speed from ATT Yahoo DSL of about 320 kbps using a Speedstream 5260 modem with or without router....got the precise same speed from another router unsupported by ATT. I'm running XP on a Dell Latitude C600. I strongly suspect its a faulty DSL feed that's causing it. Any suggestions on what to try before I call ATT again?

Reply to
rfreeman77
Loading thread data ...

You might want to download a copy of TCP/IP Optimizer at

formatting link
and check to see if Windows tweaking might speed things up. Some ISP software installs programs that can confuse the settings and actually slow things down rather than speed things up like they claim.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

power cycle the modem. filter everything (except the modem) that is connected to the phone line. use the cable that came with the modem to connect it to the phone jack. test at

formatting link
and submit the results so you have a reference number to give the agent.

However, it sounds like your line is capped at the 384 (320 is about 80% of

384) speed and you may not be able to get anything faster: old lines, telco issues, long wire pair to central office, etc.
Reply to
Kay Archer

Another problem that turns up time after time with new DSL installations is either bad quality internal wiring or unfiltered devices like alarm systems, answering machines, dial-in water or gas meters.

Take your DSL modem and plug it directly into the telephone NIC jack (like you would a test phone) and either drag your computer there and try it or run a long Ethernet cable to the computer and see what speed you get. Stay away from wireless if possible while testing as it only adds another level of complexity where problems might exist. If your speed does go up to what you expected then the problem is something inside your home and not the Telco's or ISP's problem.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

It's an old line, probably capped....I've been getting lousy speeds for years but just never worried about it before. I'll try plugging in at the box as you suggest and report back.

Thanks to all.

Glow>

Reply to
rfreeman77

We can hope they move your circuit to an RT. That would get you a shorter copper pair and (probably) improve your speed.

Reply to
Kay Archer

Looks like you are capped at 384kbps. Your modem is very outdated. In Michigan we used the 5260 back in 2001/2002. The firmware may not support the latest DSLAM software. Contact your ISP to find the distance from your premise to the central office. Also check your DSL filters ( if you don't have a splitter ). Ensure every phone jack in use has a properly connected line filter.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
kingpen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.