DSL wiring through patch panel or direct?

I am having DSL service started next month, so I am in the process of preparing the wiring. I've bought a POTS splitter that I'll use to separate the voice and data line, over at the point where the wire enters the house. Right now, I'll need to use DSL in one room where I have an office, but I am quite certain that I will be moving the office to another location in the house within a year or two.

My thought was to run the data line from the splitter, over to a patch panel, and then I can easily switch things around in the future. Is there any drawback to wiring into a patch panel, rather than directly to the room? I wasn't sure if this would introduce any noise or other potential problems. Thanks in advance.

Gary

Reply to
Gary C
Loading thread data ...

Hi Gary,

You may want to re-think the whole setup.

There is really no need to separate voice and data when the cable enters the house at least because you will need a DSL modem for that. The most natural place for the DSL modem would be near the patch panel instead. From the DSL modem you would most likely want to connect to a router (gateway), and, in turn, from router to the patch panel. This way you can conveniently share internet access between computers in different rooms and have a home network setup so that computers talk to each other as well. So, just pull that cable from the NID to the patch panel, terminate it on one of the ports and daisy-chain that port with couple more ports for your phone locations. One of this phone ports will be then connected to the DSL modem and further on as described above.

Good luck!

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Since wireless is hot these days, why not find a central location in the house where there is also a phone jack, install a splitter on the jack (most DSL ISP's provide these), then the DSL modem, then a wireless Router

- I recommend D-Link Extreme-G. This way, you don't have to worry about recabling anything when you move the office, and if you really want to you can easily relocate the router to any available phone jack. AND you still get the advantage of a home network.

Good luck! Geoff

------------------------------------- Gary C wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.cabling - 4157 messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
geo

You might also keep in mind that sometimes (in my experience) DSL modems need to be reset every once in a while (it will let you know when it needs this). So, place the modem somewhere you can easily get at it to power-cycle it. I've had best results with leaving it OFF for a minute, which I define as at least 45 seconds.

HTH

-pk

Reply to
Patrick Keenan

"Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com)" wrote in message news:j79Uc.19242$ snipped-for-privacy@hydra.nntpserver.com...

There is no such thing as a DSL modem. Modem means MOdulate/DEModulate, and is used for converting analog to digital and back. DSL is pure digital. The "thingie" your DSL provider gives you is actually a router.

Reply to
ccs

It is a modem. The connection over the phone line is signals at various frequency, so it does modulate and demodulate.

Reply to
James Knott

It is not a modem. Modulation is encoding data onto a carrier signal, demodulation is extracting the data by filtering the carrier. That has nothing to to with "signals at various frequencies".

Reply to
ec

Still not a modem. Get back to me when you can.

Reply to
ec

Read this and get back to me.

formatting link
There are two main methods of communcating data, baseband and broadband. Baseband involves placing the data directly on the cable, using the cable only for that signal. Broadband, uses some modulation scheme, so that the cable can carry more than one signal. In the docs mentioned above, it refers to discrete multitone signalling, where there are several carriers, each of which is modulated, to carry the data over the phone line. This means the device used to connect to the phone line is a modem.

Reply to
James Knott

" Still not a modem. Get back to me when you can.

You are thoroughly wrong. A DSL Modem is a modem. For once, there is a consumer device commonly called exactly what it is, and we still have a kook trying to misname it.

I'm not addressing additional features the modem may also do.

Reply to
Brad Allen

Not a modem. You're the kook, bradley.

Reply to
ec

What do you base that on? The data is not placed directly on the phone line as ethernet is on the cable. You have a device, that takes the data and uses it to modulate those tones. At the other end, those tones are received and the data extracted. Those multiple frequencies are in fact individual modem channels. Sure looks like a modem to me.

Reply to
James Knott

Here's what Webster's has to say about it.

"Main Entry: mo·dem Pronunciation: 'mO-"d&m, -"dem Function: noun Etymology: modulator + demodulator : a device that converts signals produced by one type of device (as a computer) to a form compatible with another (as a telephone) "

How is an ADSL modem not a modem?

Reply to
James Knott

AFAIK, ``modem'' stands for ``modulator/demodulator''. I'm not a signal engineer, but looking at what an xDSL CPE does to the data, it seems there is a lot of heavy duty DSP powered de/modulating going on.

So before we go on with ye olde isnot/istoo routine; Explain why, please?

Reply to
jpd

There is a carrier. Two actually, one for each direction.

Yes, it really is a modem.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Even ethernet is modulated. 10baseT is phase modulated with two possible value for the phase. 100baseTX uses a more complicated modulation method, though it is baseband.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.