WRT54G: DHCP plus static local IPs?

I'm trying to configure my WRT54G router (firmware v8.00.2, Jun. 7,

2007) with its DHCP server enabled, to allow friends and whatnot who come over to be able to get internet access, but I also want to set static IPs for a few machines that I own (so I can forward certain ports).

I understand how to forward ports (using the Applications and Gaming tab) but with DHCP enabled, if the power ever goes out, or a connection gets lost for a while (laptop leaves coverage area and stays out beyond DHCP lease time) then the machine may be reassigned a new IP address.

I've used other routers where you can specify machines (by MAC address) who get static IPs, while every other machine will get a dynamic one issued through DHCP.

Is this possible with the stock firmware? Are there other firmwares out there that I can replace it with that will do this for me?

Reply to
Bo
Loading thread data ...

Check and see if DD-WRT

formatting link
will load on a v8 router. If it will than it will do what you want. other wise take the linksys back and buy a buffalo.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Just setup your internal machines with static addresses. Then make sure the internal DHCP leases are from a different chunk of that same internal subnet. Your forwarded ports go to your internal machines, which will always be on the same addresses due to them being setup manually with static ones.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I have the WRT54G Router and I have used if for the same things that you are trying to do and I had no problems. I left my router on dhcp enabled and I have never had any of my computers that where setup with static ip addresses to have then go to dhcp after the connection got lost or the power went out. this what I did to set it up I left dhcp enabled and then I just set up my computers for static ip addresses and then you also have to enter in the dns server addresses in order for it to work so just call your isp for the dns server addresses or if you can find your isp in this link then just use those from that site

formatting link
you do not need to do this in some linux distros cause I have set up a static ip address on one of my linux systems and it automatically found out what the dns was and the wired thing was those dns servers for my isp which is comcast where not listed at that site.

Reply to
Tyler W.

I have the WRT54G Router and I have used if for the same things that you are trying to do and I had no problems. I left my router on dhcp enabled and I have never had any of my computers that where setup with static ip addresses to have then go to dhcp after the connection got lost or the power went out. this what I did to set it up I left dhcp enabled and then I just set up my computers for static ip addresses and then you also have to enter in the dns server addresses in order for it to work so just call your isp for the dns server addresses or if you can find your isp in this link then just use the dns server addresses from that site

formatting link
you do not need to do this in some linux distros cause I have set up a static ip address on one of my linux systems and it automatically found out what the dns was and the wired thing was those dns servers for my isp which is comcast where not listed at that site. if you do not know how to set up a static ip address on your computer go to this link
formatting link
you need help setting up forwarding ports then go to this link
formatting link

Reply to
Tyler W.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.