Static IPs and WRT54gs?

Thats my question... is it possible to use static IPs on a WRT54gs? On both wired and wireless clients.

Reply to
Justin
Loading thread data ...

It's router that can issue DHCP IP(s) to wired or wireless client. So why cannot a wire or wireless client wanting to use a static IP on the router not use one?

The answer is it don't make any difference wired or wireless.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Sure, it's possible. You'd just have to track the addresses manually.

Using DHCP, however, is often quite worthwhile. Should there ever become a need to renumber the subnet it's a pain in the ass to do manually. You have to touch each and every workstation. Use DHCP and it's often no more complicated than just rebooting them or using 'ipconfig /renew' on windows boxes.

Why do you ask? What're you trying to accomplish?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I have printers and such on the network, I can't have their IP addies changine all the time. I don't need DHCP simply because this is going to be a small network at my parent's house. A printer, two laptops and a desktop. I don't see the point of DHCP unless there's a shitload of machines and it would take an admin forever to goto each one - not to mention when the network configurtion changes. I tried DHCP with the current router - a BEFSR41, and the printer jumped aroound. I don't know why. SO I went static. Also, sometimes I have to forware ports to get IRC file transfers working and junk like that.

Reply to
Justin

On 29 Jun 2006 21:21:14 -0700, "Justin" wrote in :

The point of DHCP is that it facilitates network management while helping to avoid problems. Better to have fixed addresses handed out by DHCP than to do the whole thing manually.

Reply to
John Navas

It's odd their addresses changed. Most DHCP leases will renew to the same IP address. I've not seen many situations where a device wouldn't get the same address back again. But it could happen if you had more devices than you had DHCP addresses, or you have lease times set too short. Strange, but with low-end devices you never know.

Printers are a great candidate for having an address that doesn't change. Note, this doesn't have to be a static address. Were you using a DHCP server that'd let you make reservations it'd be able to always give a particular address to a given hardware MAC address (the ethernet interface). But since most low-end routers don't support DHCP reservations (the wrt54gs can't unless you use other firmware like dd-wrt) your correct option is to use static addresses. Even if it's a small network I'd still encourage you to use DHCP addresses on things that don't 'need' to be static. Even if you used all static addresses you might want to leave the DHCP service enabled. This to allow the addition of other devices later, or the replacement of an existing one, without having to go figure out the static addresses again.

Just make sure you assign the static addresses from outside any range the DHCP server might hand out. The WRT54gs will work just fine this way.

-Bill Kearney

Well yeah, that's a staggeringly obvious statement. But one that does nothing to answer the guy's problem, mainly because the firmware in those devices can't DO THAT.

If you're not going to contribute an actual answer then why post at all?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

The rule of thumb is to use a static IP for the printer if it's somehow (print server I guess) connected to the router. You don't want the IP to change as LAN computer that want to use the printer are locked in on the IP.

You don't have to use DHCP IP if you don't want to. It's buying you nothing. Just configure the computers and printer to use static IP(s) on the router.

True

That's what you should is go static IP.

On port forwarding as a rule of them should be forwarded to a LAN/IP machine that's using a static IP, because if the machine's IP changes for whatever reason, the forwarding rules will not work because the IP it was forwarding to has changed.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 01:06:31 -0400, "Bill Kearney" wrote in :

Not strange at all, since many routers, particularly low end ones, assign DHCP addresses from the lowest available address. Thus if client A gets assigned address X, but happens to be turned off when the lease for address X expires, then client B can get assigned address X, and client A will later get assigned address Y, a different address, since X is reserved to client B.

In fact many low-end routers do support DHCP assignment by MAC address. That these Linksys devices don't is one of the reasons I avoid them.

Good advice.

It's actually not at all obvious to many people.

So he should be kept ignorant of better solutions? ;)

1. If you can't be polite then why post at all?
  2. I did give a useful answer.
  3. The wikis listed in my sig block, which have a taken a great deal of effort to compile, provide lots more information. Why not spend your time contributing rather than criticizing. ;)
Reply to
John Navas

Well, to actually give answers. Instead of impolite one-liners and pointers to wiki pages that don't contain anything that actually addresses the question asked.

We disagree.

Given your behavior in other newsgroups you should be familiar with why people react negatively.

I'm less than enthusiastic about supporting a wiki where problematic egos are involved. So, no thanks.

So you'd do well to lose your typical attitude and actually focus on actually answering people. But seeing as how that hasn't changed during your years of participation in other newsgroups I'm not holding my breath.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:26:32 -0400, "Bill Kearney" wrote in :

And there we have it, and leave it.

I didn't think so. Why am I not surprised.

You have a serious attitude problem. Get help. Seriously.

Have a nice day.

Reply to
John Navas

Oh please, if anything you're the one that needs help. Seriously.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

On 29 Jun 2006 21:21:14 -0700, "Justin" wrote: : : Bill Kearney wrote: : > > Thats my question... is it possible to use static IPs on a WRT54gs? : > > On both wired and wireless clients. : >

: > Sure, it's possible. You'd just have to track the addresses manually. : >

: > Using DHCP, however, is often quite worthwhile. Should there ever become a : > need to renumber the subnet it's a pain in the ass to do manually. You have : > to touch each and every workstation. Use DHCP and it's often no more : > complicated than just rebooting them or using 'ipconfig /renew' on windows : > boxes. : >

: > Why do you ask? What're you trying to accomplish? : : I have printers and such on the network, I can't have their IP addies : changine all the time.

If you're using Windows 2000 or XP Pro, you can define symbolic port names for your network printers and use those names in the printers' definitions. Then you don't care if their IP addresses change.

: I don't need DHCP simply because this is going to be a small network at : my parent's house. A printer, two laptops and a desktop. I don't see : the point of DHCP unless there's a shitload of machines and it would : take an admin forever to goto each one - not to mention when the : network configurtion changes.

What I normally do is pretend that everything on my network is going to use DHCP. Then if I have a device that can't do it for some reason, I give it a static address and insert a reservation for it on the DHCP server. (Very few DHCP servers won't allow you to do that.) That helps me keep track of where everything is.

You're right, of course, that you don't actually need DHCP on your home network. But some of us who manage large networks in real life find the habit hard to break. My home network has three computers, two printers, and a wireless access point. But I do run a DHCP server - on my Windows Server 2003 domain controller. ;^)

Now the WRT54G is a bit of a special case. If you're using it as a router, it can be a DHCP client on its WAN side and a DHCP server on its LAN side. (And it's fairly straightforward to set the latter to accommodate both static and dynamic clients.) But if you're using it in "access point" mode, in which case it's connected to the network by one of its LAN-side ports, it can't use DHCP and must be given a static address. I believe that some wireless routers can be DHCP clients on their LAN side, but the WRT54G isn't one of them. (FWIW, the comparably priced Belkin router wasn't either, the last time I looked.)

: I tried DHCP with the current router - a BEFSR41, and the printer : jumped aroound. I don't know why. SO I went static. : Also, sometimes I have to forware ports to get IRC file transfers : working and junk like that.

Reply to
Robert Coe

Just load up dd-wrt on the WRT54G and you get quite a few more options on how it can be configured.

Some of the Belkin units can likewise be upgraded to use this same firmware. Albeit at a reduced feature set as the Belkin units tend to have less RAM and Flash.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 10:18:15 -0400, Robert Coe wrote in :

Only if there's a mechanism for automatically associating those port names with changing IP addresses, which isn't necessarily the case.

Reply to
John Navas

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 16:42:58 GMT, John Navas wrote: : On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 10:18:15 -0400, Robert Coe wrote in : : : : >On 29 Jun 2006 21:21:14 -0700, "Justin" wrote: : : >: I have printers and such on the network, I can't have their IP addies : >: changine all the time. : >

: >If you're using Windows 2000 or XP Pro, you can define symbolic port names for : >your network printers and use those names in the printers' definitions. Then : >you don't care if their IP addresses change. : : Only if there's a mechanism for automatically associating those port : names with changing IP addresses, which isn't necessarily the case.

True. I was implicitly assuming the presence of an accurately maintained name server. That usually means WINS or dynamic DNS, and most home networks probably wouldn't have those. John's point is well taken.

Reply to
Robert Coe

OK, kids... My problem was I had IPs jumping around. For whatever reason, from Tibetan Monks, strange MAC adrresses, the position of the stars to el cheapo Linksys (pre cisco) technology that was the problem. Printers would change IPs or the router would refuse to give it one. I got help from $windows95 on dalnet (Yeah I know - but I was around IRC when dalnet was actually OK) and they said DHCP sucks. so I went with static, and I haven't had to touch the network in two years. Literally, I have a Jetdirect Port with a printer (at first it was a Canon BJC, now its a Samsung laser) and a Pricom brand specially designed for Canons - it was a higher end color Inkjet. I550 actually

- wich has clogged nozzles now. Those two devices are working fine with DHCP. Then there's my dad's PC, my mother's PC and my brother's. Once configured all those things worked in harmony. Even with the Linky WAP11 - all kosher. So having said that, I am a fan of small networks with static IPs.

Reply to
Justin

Right, but again, I'm going for similicity. My mom is going for a doctorate and will have to start working on her thesis. The simpler the setup - the better. The last thign I need is her calling me at 1am and she can't print.

No, its going to be a router. I will have DHCP on the WAN side and static ont he LAN (internally) The exact same setup I have now, except the WAP11 and BEFSR41 will be on ebay and the router will have two antennae sticking out.

Reply to
Justin

On 1 Jul 2006 21:31:59 -0700, "Justin" wrote in :

Fair enough, but it's really a trade-off, where you might get called at

1AM because of a different problem, (say) an address conflict. From experience I personally prefer managed solutions with a single point of configuration. This is why I only recommend routers that support fixed assignment of DHCP addresses.
Reply to
John Navas

there won't be an address conflict - they don't put stuff on the network - I do. Even if there is an addy conflict, at 1am I can fix that over the phone in about ten minutes. then I can take apill to get back to sleep.

Reply to
Justin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.