DHCP - One host multiple IPs

Dear Folks,

is it possible to assigne a host (one mac address) more then one static IP. The reason is, that a NAS is not abel to configure with a static IP. This NAS has 2 NICs but only one MAC Address and I'd like to assign this NAS 2 static IPs.

My DHCP "Server" is a Cisco Catalyst 6506 E.

Thanks

Robert

Reply to
Robert Mueller
Loading thread data ...

a NAS box that can't have a static ip?

I'm really curious as to what the mfg is on that..

Robert Mueller wrote:

Reply to
News

I also can't understand, why someone can buy such a thing..

Reply to
Robert Mueller

Robert,

~ is it possible to assigne a host (one mac address) more then one ~ static IP. The reason is, that a NAS is not abel to configure with a ~ static IP. This NAS has 2 NICs but only one MAC Address and I'd like ~ to assign this NAS 2 static IPs. ~ ~ My DHCP "Server" is a Cisco Catalyst 6506 E.

Should be able to get this working if you put the 2 NICs into different VLANs.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

How can it have 2 NICs and only 1 MAC address? Surely each NIC will have its own address as each NIC controller will have it embedded on the chip.

More to the point why does it have 2 NICs, from the documentation what is the purpose of the second NIC? and as someone else has commented what is the manufacturer/model of the NAS.

Ste

Reply to
Steven Carr

Having one MAC address for the box is a perfectly valid configuration, and is in fact how for instance Sun workstations/servers *used to be* configured. It will work fine as long as the NICs are on different Ethernet segments, and the MAC addresses of the different segments are kept separated at the switch (or whatever) where they are connected. It is no longer very common.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, snipped-for-privacy@nethelp.no

Reply to
Steinar Haug

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.