static IPs for linksys wrt54g wireless router.

Hi, I have four wireless computers in the home and they are all assigened IP address by the wrt54G. However I'd like them each to have their own static ip address. How do I setup the router to assigne a static ip to each computer? (using mac address?)

B.

Reply to
KraftDiner
Loading thread data ...

On 25 Jul 2006 12:54:02 -0700, "KraftDiner" wrote in :

You may need to switch to third-party firmware. See the wikis below.

Reply to
John Navas

The WRT54G cannot do this.

However, you can configure the computers to use static IP addresses. Just assign them addresses below the dynamically-assigned range. For instance, if your router is at 192.168.1.1 and assigns at and above 192.168.1.100, then just configure your computers (and other wireless devices) to use addresses like 192.168.1.51.

-Yves

Reply to
Yves Konigshofer

You don't. You do it at the client end, and optionally disable the DHCP server in the router.

(aside: some routers let you set the DHCP lease time to infinity. I've had three different routers that all handled this diffferently, with lease times from inf to 28 days, all of which had the effect of re-leasing the same IP each time to the same client.)

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

The standard firmware in the WRT54G, even V5, will do that; however, if the router power is recycled, the mac correspondence is lost. I have one computer that needs to have a fixed IP address as it is serves both NFS and subversion. As suggested earlier, it got

192.168.1.50, whereas the DHCP addresses start at 192.168.1.100.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

"KraftDiner" hath wroth:

You can't do that with the stock Linksys WRT54G firmware. It lacks a feature called "static DHCP", "static leases", or "reserved DHCP".

If you switch to an alternative WRT54G firmware such as DD-WRT it has this feature. Unfortunately, the setup is a bit overly convoluted. See:

formatting link
Others have suggested using static IP's on the workstations and not bothering with "static DHCP" in the router. That works, but has one problem. If the client is a laptop, and you want move around to other access points (i.e. work, skool, coffee shop, etc) that use DHCP assigned addresses, you'll need to change the configuration of your network connection. It's not particularly difficult to do, but it does get old after a while. There are programs such as Netswitcher to help, but it can all be avoided if you just use DHCP on the laptop clients and "static DHCP" in the router. I suggest using alternative firmware and specifically "DD-WRT v23 SP1 Final".

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I have a recollection of getting round this by adding two connections, one with fixed IP and one with DHCP, and disabling whichever one was inappropriate. Much quicker than fooling with the DHCP settings.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:03:29 +0100, Mark McIntyre wrote in :

How do (did) you create an additional connection for a single hardware device?

Reply to
John Navas

I just checked my WMP54GX settings and this link doesn't seem to apply to this pci adapter, (I can't get bridge connections to work with it either) but I remember doing it with my HP laptop that has a usb dongle. It's the "alternate configuration" part.

formatting link
alien

Reply to
alien

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:55:48 GMT, "alien" wrote in :

Ahhh ... got it .. clever ...thanks.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.