WRT54G and Static Clients

How do I tell my WRT54G with Linksys firmware (8.00.2) to always assign certain IP's to certain MACs (or hostnames)?

I need to know that certain hardwired and wireless devices are at certain static IP's, while the rest can use DHCP.

This kind of setup was pretty straight-forward on the D-Links (mapping IP's to MACs), but I don't see how to do it on the Linksys.

Do I just set up my devices to have static IP's and let them tell the router this? And then exclude those IP's from the DHCP pool? That didn't work for my Brother printer, at least (can't find how to set hostname). Haven't tried it with a PC.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz
Loading thread data ...

The Linksys firmware does not have the capability of assigning IP by MAC. You have two options: (1) use static IP's that are outside the DHCP range. The default DHCP range on a WRT54G is

192.168.1.100-149. On my system, I have a Linux server at 192.168.1.50, and an HP printer at 192.168.1.3. The only thing the router knows about these 2 devices is that I do some port forwarding from outside to the server. My other computers use DHCP.

(2) Use 3rd-party software such as openWRT or DD-WRT on your WRT54G.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

just assign the static IP at the device - and make it outside the DHCP pool If the "printer", print server, or other "device" has an interface to setup an IP address, it might internally create a hostname... usually from the MAC address or serial number.

Reply to
P.Schuman

The answer is to another brand. Linksys is a rip. They make cheap crap and laugh when you want help. The reason their is no support is because their products are so cheap they are unfixable.

Reply to
flamestar

Thanks Larry and P. I figured it was probably something fairly simple, just never used the Linksys before.

And no thanks to you, flamestar.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.