wireless network

hi guys i have sony laptop. I have connected to internet via wireless network connection. On wireless icon i shows that it is connected but i am unable open any webpage. All it throughs an error saying that search page couldn't be opened. Can any help me out?

Reply to
suresh739
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1132797160.515550.185280 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

You can go to the Command Prompt and enter IPconfig /all. If the IP starts with 169, then the machine timed out and cannot get an IP that's going to allow the machine to access the Internet. This is usually due to some kind of mis-configuration of the wireless card or if using a wireless router or WAP the mis-configuration could be there too that was done by the user.

I suggest you get on the phone with manufactures of the wireless equipment and have Tech Support help you.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Nope. Can't help you. That's because you didn't bother to supply the model of the Sony, the operating system you're using, what make and model wireless router you have, and how you connect to the internet. Also what program owns the "wireless icon". In other words, the limited information you supplies is terminally vague and insuffient to supply a guess.

Well, actually, I do have a very bad guess. My crystal ball is back from the service shop. It tells me that you're using WEP encryption with an ASCII WEP encryption key. Some routers and clients have problems translating the ASCII encryption key into Hexydecimal. Windoze XP offers no diagnostics beyond a stupid "limited connectivity" error and will not tell you that the encryption key was rejected by the router. Use a Hex key, and it should work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You forgot to ask what wireless card the Sony has, as it's entirely possible for one model to be available with multiple wireless options...

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.