D-link USB Wireless adaptor DWL-G122 often disconnects

I'm using a D-link USB Wireless adaptor DWL-G122 to go online. It works with D-LINK Air-Plus G router DI-524.

The USB wireless adaptor works perfectly on my laptop, which has Windows XP (SP2) and a USB version 1 plug. When I use it on my Windows XP (SP3) desktop which has USB version 2 plug. It disconnects two or three times a day for no reason. The off time lasts a few minutes. Then the connection comes back for no reason.

Sometimes I can reach a site's frontpage, like "

formatting link
", but it doesn't go to any links on the page. Give it five or ten minutes and try it again, it works fine again. Very strange. I was able to solve this problem once by turning off Zone Alarm. The solution worked for two days. Somehow my machine learned new way to block access to a site's sub pages even without ZA running. Anyone know why?

Reply to
Max
Loading thread data ...

I'm OP. Still need you guys help. Here's something new. I believe the connection is still there, as I was able to download news articles from a newsserver while IE can't reach a webpage. IE would say "Internet Explorer can't open the search page". Another explorer Firefox would say "

formatting link
cannot be found. Please check the name and try again."

So I guess the problem might related to D-Link USB Wireless adaptor as the connection is always there. Experts help please. Thanks.

Reply to
Max

Just bought one of these today with a D-link DSL-904 router. It worked right out of the box for all morning. Shut the system down, rebooted from cold and wouldn't connect.

I took it out and re-inserted into another USB 2 port and reconnection.

These devices don't seem to be very reliable.

BTW I didn't think that Windows XP had an SP3 revision (yet)? Is it a beta?

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Eales

I've heard the "another USB port" workaround before. I don't recall if that was with the DLink or not.

I have two of the non-G, DWL-122. One is in fairly constant use in a cantenna, the other sits in my laptop bag and sees occasional use, both WinXP SP2. There were some issues with flaky connection with the cantenna, but those seem to have gone away. The link is about 300 ft, so I don't know what was causing the problem.

Did you load the DLink drivers, or use Windows drivers? On the cantenna install, the DLink drivers and utility were installed. On the laptop, the Windows drivers were used. On the laptop, the Driver screen says the Provider is D-Link. Driver Details says the provider: Globespan Virata, Inc. Version 3.01.03

10/2/2003 PRISMUSB.SYS

The version from D-Link dwl122_driver_102 is April of 2003, and different.

Reply to
dold

I used the drivers on the D-link CD that came with the package. If I get problems again (perhaps tomorrow) I'll try to update from the D-link support site.

Reply to
Jonathan Eales

I too have a DWL-G122. It came in the bundle with a DI-524 (from futureshop, good deal).

Here's my setup: 1 wired xbox to the router. 2 wireless computers (one is a dell w/ built-in wireless, one is mine w/ the DWL-G122 USB adapter).

The dell one works great, no packet loss or anything.

Mine loses connection every so often, and has packet loss every minute. You can test for packet loss by going to the command prompt and typing:

ping -t 192.168.0.1

that will constantly ping your router. Mine works fine, then all of the sudden "Request timed out." even though my signal strength is "Excellent" (full strength).

Their tech support line is hopeless. "It's a wireless network, it will always have packet loss" was their explanation. They suggest exchanging it, which I might do (but I highly doubt it will help).

The problem is definitely either the USB adapter or the drivers because it doesn't work in either computer. I haven't tried the windows drivers yet. Anyone else have any other suggestions? I want to play online games but the loss is killing me, even though it's not constant.

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 Beta 5 * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

formatting link

Reply to
aWG

The drivers on the DLink site are certainly newer than the ones on the CD... at least on my CD. But the Microsoft drivers are newer still.

Mine is the DWL-122, not the G version, but I didn't install the DLink drivers at all. I let it install from Windows, and allowed it to go to the web to look for drivers. I've been connected since the first message earlier today. It's actually more stable than my SMC 2435W card, which does something weird and pops up the "connected" balloon every few minutes, even though I never noticed the connection go away. If I'm connected via VPN, a minor disconnect would break the VPN, so I think either of them is a good connection.

Reply to
dold

I did a ping -n 300 to my router. Ping statistics for Netgear: Packets: Sent = 300, Received = 300, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 2ms

start-run-perfmon.msc + Performance Object = Network Numbers agree with dslreports. + Performance Object = TCP shows some counters that might be errors. The "current bandwidth" in perfmon might be interesting.

Reply to
dold

Start -> Run -> cmd

netstat -s | more netstat -e

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

But the graphs are so much prettier ;-) You really need two "netstat -s" noting the change over a suspicious period of time. Or you run perfmon, and if it seems to be acting up, switch to the perfmon screen.

The "current bandwidth" is more active than I expected.

Reply to
dold

I downloaded a program called "NetStumbler" (apparently it's used for wardriving but can detect signal levels).

As I suspected, my signal remains fairly strong and then all the sudden just DROPS to 0 (a loss in signal - spike). This is due to my usb card as it happens on one other network (the adhoc network of my 2nd computer, the dell computer).

I don't know if I'm going to return everything and just purchase really cheap equipment. I may just run 100 ft wire throughout my house. There's also some good deals on cheap wireless equipment at a store I deal with, I'm thinking of just buying lesser known names and putting up with whatever performance it gives me - because this performance sure isn't worth it.

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 Beta 5 * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

formatting link

Reply to
aWG

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.