Win2000 laptop can access network but not internet.

We have a wireless network in our flat comprising of 7 Macs and one laptop with Win2000. All of our Macs are connected to the network and are able to access the internet with no problem whatsoever. The Win2000 laptop however is a little more pesky.

Although it shows as being connected to the network (both on her laptop and on my 'admin' Mac), whenever she tries to access the internet Win2000 insists on bringing up the dial-up connection window.

We've tried going into the Internet options control panel and ticking 'Never dial a connection', but whenever we try the internet with this, Internet Explorer throws up an error page saying that this site (the URL we've just typed in) is forbidden. I haven't blocked her connection and as far as we know, everything seems to be working fine.

I can't really give more precice specs on her laptop as it's not hers and she's not very tech minded!

Apologies for the long thread, but if any of you lovely people could offer any sort of advice, that'd be great.

Reply to
outofdepth
Loading thread data ...

Tony - not sure what you mean by ipconfig command? Would this be under Internet Options? If so, then I don't think so. I'll tell my flatmate about it.

Duane - I'll suggest that to my flatmate tomorrow. However *every* URL we try comes up as forbidden, even non-existent ones like kjdhsfjkhdfjkdhsfjkdsf.com. The error pages actually quotes the URL when saying its forbidden.

Reply to
outofdepth

Hi, What does ipconfig command show? Looked into Internet options under system settings? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"outofdepth" wrote in news:1132365852.121583.27410 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Sometimes a browser's page cache will hold on to old pages to sites that have been visited holding on to the connection type the page last had when visited. If you have changed from dial-up to BB or DSL recently, then the old web page held on the computer for the site could be for the dialup connection. You should clear out the browser's *Page Cache History* off of Tools/Options/History and see if that fixes your problem.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Hi, Click on start > command > the type ipconfig. It'll give some info. And try to use ping as well. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"outofdepth" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

To begin to troubleshoot, try these things:

1) Plug the laptop in to a port on the router with a cable. See if anything changes. 2) If nothing changes, try eliminating the router and connecting the laptop directly to the internet. See if that changes anything.

Report back and we can go from there.

Reply to
The Chairman

"outofdepth" wrote in news:1132370177.252225.17660 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Can the machine send and receive emails?

Is there a router involved here?

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thanks for all your help, but we've managed to resolve the situation. By dangling a *long* cable out of her window, down into mine and plugged into the router. you can't beat good old hard-cabling. ;)

Reply to
outofdepth

"outofdepth" wrote in news:1132616779.025699.241910 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

What's wrong with drilling a hole in the floor? :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Problem with drilling a hole? Our house is so old and unstable, we'd no longer have a house than a pile of rubble. It'd be a laugh for when we move out in a few months though. Well - not to our landlord, probably. But sod it.

Reply to
outofdepth

Matching hole in the ceiling? :)

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.