D-link DI-524 drops hardwired connection only

I installed a D-Link Di-524 wireless router. My internet connection is a cable modem.I have two computers connected to it. A Desk top computer is connected to the first wired port. My IBM Thinkpad connects thru the wireless connection. My desktop computer is always on. But if I leave it idle for more than 30 minutes or more, when I try to connect to the Internet I need to restart the computer the re-establish the connection. After that, there is no problems. I can use the connection as long as I want. It will always be on as long as I use it . If I leave the computer for period of time, I will have to restart it again. What can be the problem?

Thanks

Ray

Reply to
Ray
Loading thread data ...

Are you using SP2? If so, thats exactly what happens to me, but the connection may not really be dead, just doesn't show.. Make a shortcut on the desktop to the c-drive on your network system (of course it has to be shared).. Then click on the link when explorer or search can't find it. For me, it still sees it no problem via the link, even though it doesn't show in some other programs. (if I reboot, it again shows for all, for about 1/2 hour or so, then back to access via the link)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Have you tried disabling the 'auto dial' feature? This way, it will remain connected to your ISP even if you have your connection as 'idle'.

->HS

Reply to
H. S.

I don't have that problem with any of my computers on my network! On my router I did lower my mtu down a bit and also it's speed through my DSL modem. There is only one user for each computer. Maybe you have more than one user for your computer and when it 'sleeps' it needs to reconnect to the network.

later, dave (One out of many daves) D-Link 524 with a Westell WireSpeed DSL Modem Custom Shuttle MB AMD 2400 computer running winxpsp2 ibmthinkpad570 running winme and wireless Custom Asus P2B PII-400 computer running win98se Custom Soyo Celeron 2.8 computer running winxpsp2 also

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.