Newbie question: hacker access to Linksys WRT54G wireless network

WMP54GS.

Reply to
steve2470
Loading thread data ...

I am using a Linksys PCI adapter for wireless connectivity, the WMP54GS. The access point/router is the Linksys WRT54G. Both of these are in my apartment. I have changed the default SSID to a impossible to guess one. I am not broadcasting the SSID. I have not enabled WEP or WPA yet. Can a hacker theoretically still break into my network, not knowing in advance my SSID ? Thanks for your help. BTW, the OS is Windows XP SP2. Steve

Reply to
steve h.

I just enabled WPA. I feel a little safer now LOL

Reply to
steve h.

No encryption? You'd be broken into in a heartbeat. Disabling SSID broadcasting does NOTHING for security. There are dozens of programs that can see APs that don't broadcast thier SSIDs

The only thing disabling SSID broadcasting does is make life miserable for someone else who happens to set thier AP to the same channel as yours, and can't figure out where the interference is coming from.

Disabling SSID and not enabling encryption is like leaving your door unlocked and putting a piece of masking tape over the keyhole.. ie: it does NOTHING.

Reply to
Beretta

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.