DNS with d-link DI-524

Hello everybody,

I wonder if there is a possibility to access LAN connected PCs (linux & XP) by their DNS names, without setting up a DNS server. I could do so with one linux machine, but it's not always switched on. In my LAN I use d-link DI-524 as a switch, wireless access point and router to the internet. It acts as a DHCP server because some of the workstations (the wireless ones) are mobile=Laptops and I don't want to use fix IP addresses. The strange thing is that in the web-configuration console of the d-link router I can see the hostnames of all connected workstations, but I can't access them between each other by their hostnames, only by their IP addresses. Is there any solution?

Thanks for you help. Maros

Reply to
maros.podolsky
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

For Windows:

For Linux:

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks, of course I know SAMBA. Ok, so you propose working with SAMBA client on linux boxes? Windows boxes can see eachother by their names anyway. My question was a littli bit different, more about the D-Link router not about the Windows/Linux network HOWTOs. The D-Link router (192.168.0.254) is the gateway and the first DNS server for all boxes (this is set by DHCP information coming from D-Link router). My question is:

1.) Is the D-Link a real DNS server or only passing through all requests to the DNS server of my ISP? 2.) If it is a DNS server, why are the hostnames not resolved? Is there maybe some bug known with a certain firmware version? (FYI: I can see the hostnames and IP addresses of all connected boxes in the D-Link web-based configuration console) Many thanks, Maros
Reply to
maros.podolsky

What you're seeing in your D-Link is identification of clients from DHCP registration of IP addresses. This has nothing to do with DNS.

Low-end consumer routers with DNS, probably D-Link included, are typically just a DNS proxy/relay between your LAN and your provider's DNS servers, not a real DNS resolver. For DNS to work for clients on your LAN, you would need a real DNS server that supports either Dynamic DNS registration or static configuration. You could do this by running your own DNS server (e.g., on a Linux box).

Reply to
John Navas

ok, thanks. I thought there would be an easy way to access the boxes by hostnames without having one linux box always switched on.

now I will give them all static ip addresses and work with etc/hosts.

Maros

Reply to
maros.podolsky

Yuk! Windows networking can access computers by their hostnames, including those running Linux+SAMBA.

Reply to
John Navas

Yes, but one might not forget that: Windows hostname != DNS hostname ... and I really prefer DNS ... At the moment in my LAN I have 3 Windows boxes, 2 Linux boxes, 1 Voip ATA and the D-Link DI-524. I need to access most of them by TCP/IP and not NetBIOS. There is a possibility at the D-Link to configure the DHCP server to give all boxes kind of static IP addresses. If doing so DHCP is working and the IP addresses of all known boxes will never change. I think this discussion is a little bit off-topic, but at the beginning I thought my wireless router would be able to solve this problem. This would be nice as beside of the voip ATA the router is the only box always switched on.

Reply to
maros.podolsky

You can make them the same.

Why? Windows hostnames work fine.

NetBIOS works over TCP/IP. Perhaps you're thinking of NetBEUI?

True.

Windows hostnames and SAMBA are all you really need.

Reply to
John Navas

Hi,

I don't want to act as a wise guy, but I don't believe that SAMBA would help me here ?!?

I mean, not even a simple ping by hostname will work between two Linux boxes unless you have a DNS entry or a etc/hosts entry. Am I right? If I setup SAMBA (I did so now), I can see the Linux boxes with their NetBIOS hostnames and IP by e.g.: nmbstatus, but the hostname is not resolved when trying to ping them between eachother. I think the IP is only resolved when using SAMBA functions, like shared files, printers, etc. Is this correct?

Maybe there is some trick/script to add all hostnames found by SAMBA into the etc/hosts file? Would this be my solution?

Thank you for your help so far. Best regards, Maros

Reply to
maros.podolsky

No need to ping -- just use Windows hostname browsing.

Correct.

Why do you care so much about pinging them? I thought you just wanted to "access" them.

Reply to
John Navas

that's the clue: I need to ping them as I need to test some own written applications (Linux/Windows) with simple socket programming (using the OS's TCP/IP stack) ... so I at least need to ping them.

Sorry, that my request was not clear from beginning on. Of course I can access all of them with Samba.

Nevertheless, many thanks for your help. I think seting up a DNS server is not (yet) necessary as the number of boxes is managable.

Best regards, Maros

Reply to
maros.podolsky

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.