DI-524 drops wireless connection randomly

I'm having a problem with my D-Link DI-524 (firmware v3.1). I have it connected via my DSL modem (ZyXel 645), and am having absolutely no problems with my desktop computer that uses a wired connection. I am virtually positive the problem is not with my laptop, as other laptops (of friends) have had the same problem, and I have never experienced this problem before with this laptop.

My wireless connection will drop every so often. Sometimes it's every minute, for about a minute, sometimes every 5 minutes for a few minutes, and sometimes it doesn't even drop. I can't figure it out, but because I have no problems with the desktop, I'm guessing there is some wireless mess.

I am currently using WEP w/o MAC filtering (though I have tried all combinations of both, to no avail). Anyone know of any special things that need to be done to a DI-524 to prevent this?

Reply to
aldebaraan
Loading thread data ...

laptops

things

First I would download netstumbler at

formatting link
Monitor your area for a few days, especially when you are having problems. Netstumbler will show up any other networks in your area that could cause interference. You could be on the same channel as someone nearby. Have you tried changing to a different channel.......

Reply to
Airhead

Reply to
BigJIm

All good things to do, I would also suggest doing the following to prevent your adapter from trying to connect to a stronger wifi connection. How do I keep my clients connected to My Network, even when a Nearby Network has a stronger Signal.

1. Double click on the wireless network connection in the system tray.
  2. Click on properties
  3. Click on Wireless Networks Tab
  4. Create a profile for your network in the prefered networks box
  5. Click on advanced
  6. Uncheck the box that says Automatically connect to non-prefered networks....
Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Okay, I've been working with NetStumbler, and I'm getting drops like crazy. I've continued to try every different configuration (WEP vs. none, MAC filtering vs. none, etc.), and they all seem to show spotty coverage.

I am picking up two other networks (one strong and one spotty), and I've been on channel 6 while they were on 11 and 1 respectively. I switched to 10, though I figured 6 was fine, and the results were the same. Oh, and I already have a profile for my network set up, and I had the box to Automatically connect to non-preferred networks unchecked. After success with other products in the past, I'm really baffled as to what could be going wrong this time.

I'm still thinking there's something weird with the DI-524...any ideas?

Reply to
aldebaraan

does someone nearby have a cordless phone - unfortunately a lot of them operate in the same freq rnages (ISM) as 802.11 devices ...

Reply to
merv.hrabi

Hmmm newbie questions from me. Are you using a matching D-Link adapter? What OS are you using? Have you tried another computer to see if it was not just one of htem. How are the connection/signal levels to the router from your computer? Is the antenna attached firmly? Any brick walls, floors or electronic devices (microwaves or cordless phones) close to either the router or the computer?

From the

formatting link
When NetStumbler is in "auto reconfigure" mode (the default), it will occasionally disconnect you from your network. This enables it to perform its scans accurately, and is not a bug.\

So if I understand it correctly you might have Netstumbler working along with your adapter software??? The adapter software is configured for YOUR router, but Netstumbler might still be trying to scan for other access points.

later from the newbie, dave also with a DI-524 and trying to learn

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Could you display your log file from your router ? enable all check boxes for events to record (while on ur laptop) and see what is going on.

Reply to
matthudon

Try using the 3.02 firmware available on the D-Link support site:

formatting link

3.02 is supposed to fix the stability for channel 6 issues.

Reply to
Mark Reeves

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.