Need Help with D-link DI-524 and Setting up File Sharing

I just bought this on the weekend and am using the DI-524 on a Windows

98se computer. The wireless USB adaptor is on my newer Win XP computer. I had it set up and sharing the Internet in about 10 minutes. I cannot however share files from one computer to another wirelessly with this setup (or is it even possible)? I am new to this networking stuff and would like to know what this wireless router is capable of. Do I have to use an ethernet cable connected from the router to my XP computer to share files? I mainly bought the DI-524 to share files from one computer to another (wirelessly) but have come up empty after several hours of exhaustive research even checking out the D-link website. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply to
Harry King
Loading thread data ...

To risk stating the obvious, do you have File and Printer Sharing enabled?

Reply to
Joseph Stewart

Hi Joseph

I enabled file and print sharing, on the host computer I chose a folder to share and I got the little icon of the "hand" on the shared folder. I cannot see the shared folder on the client computer. I checked "my network neighborhood" and it is empty. It acts like the network doesn't exist. I also tried running the "network setup wizard" on the XP computer but it attempts to create a floppy disk and I don't have a floppy drive on my new computer so that's about as far as I get. The documentation with the router does not really address file sharing so I'm stuck...

Reply to
Harry King

Thanks for the suggestion David, I've tried that also and got a message that said the folder could not be found.

Reply to
Harry King

I have Zone Alarm on my host computer and I have Norton Internet security on the client. Is it possible that one of them is causing the problem? As I stated earlier the Internet connection is being shared by both computers.

Reply to
Harry King

Reply to
Harry King

Could you please tell me how to browse the computer for the share list? I've never tried this before. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Harry King

Being that they are both windoze boxes, are they both part of the same workgroup?

Reply to
Ryan Case

Firewall?

Reply to
Joseph Stewart

Really? Well I guess I must have been remembering things wrong. I thought that had been a problem that I had had doing this kind of thing before. Oh, well. Been known to be wrong before.

Has anyone asked him if he can at least ping the other machine?

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Case

ignore network neighbourhood, what happens if you just enter the path to the other machine as:-

\\\\computer\\share

Reply to
David Taylor

So next also try browsing \\\\computer to see if you get a list of shares.

(also check firewall is off for the testing)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Click start button, choose "Run" and then just type \\\\computername of the other computer.

Disable the firewall on the other computer to test this because yes it's most likely that which is causing your problem.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

That won't stop the shares working though if he connects directly and given time, both workgroups should show up in Net neighbourhood.

Reply to
David Taylor

Yep, workgroups just organise the groupings, nothing to do with security or even visibility once the browse masters have been elected and any cross subnet browsing resolved which shouldn't be an issue here.

What and start with the basics? :) Nah! ;)

Reply to
David Taylor

Hello,

I just got off of work and I have been anxious all day to try your suggestions. I tried turning off the firewall on the client computer and I still can't connect to the host. I have also tried naming the workgroups the same on both computers.

Is the wireless part of this router capable of sharing files between the 2 computers? The DI-524 also has 4 wired ethernet ports. This may sound like a dumb question but this is my first router purchase. Both wireless devices are connecting fine but so far all I have been able to do is share the Internet. I don't think the 2 computers are talking to each other.

Maybe the basics may have to be where I start out from? How do I p>> Really? Well I guess I must have been remembering things wrong. I

Reply to
Harry King

Everything that David says below. But just to quell your concerns. I have a DI-524 at home with two wireless clients and three wired clients all connected to it. They can all share files between one another no problem. I don't remember there being anything out of the ordinary to getting it working either.

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Case

Wrong way round, you need to turn off the firewall on the machine with the share. Have you tried pinging the machine with the share from the client?

Nothing to do with it. Wireless is just a network connection, the file sharing protocols are way above any of this.

firewall

On both machines, open a cmd prompt. (start | run "cmd" and press enter)

enter the command IPCONFIG which will show your IP address of each machine.

Then on each machine, enter the command PING ipaddress

Where ipaddress is the address of the other machine.

Turn off the firewall on both machines for the test, then see what happens when you turn the firewall on. It's like a wife, it should go deaf to anything you say to it.

With the firewalls off, try connecting to the machine with the share by doing Start | Run \\\\ipaddress

You might be prompted to enter username and password but by using the ipadddress you avoid any name resolution issues that shouldn't be present anyway but always a good try.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Ryan, this might sound like the dumbest question yet but I am not sure. Do I have to have a network adaptor or wireless card on both the host and client computer? What I am using now is a D-link kit with the wireless router and 1 USB adaptor. I do not have a network adaptor or wireless card on the host computer (just on the client). I was doing some reading in one of those "networking for Dummies" books and the wireless networking section had a diagram that made me think I had my wireless network set up wrong. I will look forward to your reply. Thanks!

Reply to
Harry King

Which connection is wireless and which is wired?

6Mbits/sec is typical for a 10baseT-HDX (half duplex) connection. If you want faster, you'll need to upgrade your antique to a 10/100baseT card.

However, if *BOTH* computahs are wireless, then the thruput between each computah and the wireless access point is cut in half. So, if you were getting a respectable 12Mbits/sec between each computer and the wireless access point, then your aggregate thruput would be only

6Mbits/sec (or less). That's because only one radio can transmit at a time. Wireless is simplex.

Asymmetrical transfer rates can also be cause by Windoze buffer misconfiguration. The older Windoze mutations were optimized for dialup connections and don't do well with high speed connections.

formatting link

Maybe. The software firewalls also control outgoing traffic. That's handy if you want to prevent a program from calling home every time it runs, or to stop a virus from propogating. The software firewalls (ZoneAlarm, Kerio, Norton, McAfee, etc) can detect a variety of worms and spyware that try to call out.

That sure would be nice. Just check this box to protect your LAN from all past, present, and future exploits and scumware. However, not this week.

The firewall in your bottom of the line DI-524 is fairly safe. Try:

formatting link
the various router exploits tests. As long as you don't punch holes (IP ports) in your firewall for various services, it should be safe enough for incoming traffic from the internet. Your wireless is your major security concern. Anyone that hacks their way in via the wireless bypasses the DI-524 firewall. A software firewall on the PC's will provide substantial added protection. The DI-524 supports WPA-PSK. Use it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.