D-Link DI-524 blocks FTP xfer

Hardware ... DELL E510, 3GHz w/ 1 GB RAM D-Link DI-524 router, Motorola SURFboard cable modem. Software .. WinXP SR-3, "FTP Commander" and/or WS_FTP95

Somehow, I must have inadvertently changed the firewall settings on my router as I cannot do FTP transfers when connected to the SURFboard modem via the D-Link DI-524 router. I could swear that it used to work. I have no problem with general web surfing. However, if I bypass the router, I can see the files on the server and upload files. If the router is in the path, in cannot see the contents of the directories or upload files.

Any suggestions? WindsurferLA

Reply to
windsurferLA
Loading thread data ...

Port forwarding?

Reply to
LR

windsurferLA wrote in news:483fc07c$0$5705 $ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

You are talking about an FTP client behind your router connecting to an FTP server somewhere on the Internet right ?

In whatever FTP client you are using, check the Passive Mode (PASV) setting for the connection. Tunr it off/or on and try it that way.

Reply to
DanS

Go unto this page:

in thy router and make sure you haven't redirected FTP somewhere.

Then go unto:

and make sure thou hast not blocketh FTP (20/21).

Yep. Swearing often helps. I do it quite often, but not in front of customers. If necessary, I find it helpful to swear in a foreign language, so nobody listening will be offended. I have several secret incantations that have been known to fix almost any problem. However, I'm not telling.

If all else fails, reset the router to defaults and start over. Incidentally, verify that your router has the latest firmware installed. This would be a good time to check.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Checking Passive Mode did the trick.. Turning it on makes it work. Thanks

Reply to
windsurferLA

I updated the firmware to version 1.23 of 24 July 2006 , the newest offered. It did not help...(Problem was cured elsewhere, see below) But now I do not seem to be able to disable the wireless, so I removed the antenna. I reloaded the old system settings, which called for wireless to be disabled, but that feature did not seem to take. I may reset and go back to the starting point.

Then reviewing DanS' posts, I check the Passive Mode setting on the FTP application. THAT CURED THE FTP PROBLEM. I don't know why the need for the change. As I have FTP set-ups for 2 different RoutHost Server accounts, I would be surprised that I accidentally changed the setting both.

Reply to
windsurferLA

windsurferLA wrote in news:48404894$0$30238$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Glad it worked out...I don't know why it would have changed. Most FTP clients have a global setting, under the main options, which is applied to all new connections. And then each individual connection detail has a PASV mode override on a per-connection basis.

I never really did understand passive mode. My FTP site, inside my network, requires that passive mode be turned off or it never gets a data channel. The initial connection works OK, as you can see in the log, but then it would say 'can't open data channel'. Everything I've seen says PASV mode is for connecting to an FTP behind a NAT rtr...but not mine.

Reply to
DanS

Everything seems to be working correctly now... I'm not sure why. Perhaps I didn't give router enough time to set up its software. After I let it run for a few minutes, it seemed to set all the settings correctly. Thanks for help.. I'm now more knowledgeable about routers.

Reply to
windsurferLA

I've never before had passive / non-passive mode make any difference. When I connect directly to my modem, bypassing the router, I don't need to be in the passive mode. Behind the router, the FTP transfer program seems to require it. Why I don't understand.

Thanks for hint ... Fortunately all is now working.

Reply to
windsurferLA

In prior post... It was suggested that I upgrade firm ware..

I reported that I could no longer disable wireless after DI-524 firmware upgrade to 2006 version, .

I've found secret. Before you can disable the wireless, you must first disable security. Once security is disabled, you can disable wireless. When you re-enable security, the previously entered codes are still in memory.

WindsurferLA

Reply to
windsurferLA

windsurferLA wrote in news:48407d69$0$7040$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

And an FYI, IE6 had an option for that too in the advanced options. I don't know if IE7 does.

.....if you find FTP transfers thru a browser are failing also.

Reply to
DanS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.